Orchard site is causing a 503 error, server unavailable application pool down

Topics: Core
Apr 25, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Hello,
My domain toursardinia.com is using orchard, and I have found it unavailable a few times, the browser showing a 503 error.
This has happened even when I just requested the index page in the browser.
It seems the site is using up too many resources, and the application pool then shuts down, what could be causing this?

The server guys have told me:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Thanks for your inquiry. Please be advised that my investigation shows that the application pool, where your site is hosted, was down. I have to restart the app pool and things are working fine. Upon further checks into Windows Event Viewer, the error messages are as followed:
Application pool toursardinia.com(domain)(4.0)(pool) is being automatically disabled due to a series of failures in the process(es) serving that application pool.
A worker process 8984 serving application pool toursardinia.com(domain)(4.0)(pool) failed to stop a listener channel for protocol http in the allotted time. The data field contains the error number.
A process serving application pool toursardinia.com(domain)(4.0)(pool) exceeded time limits during shut down. The process id was 8156.
The error message clearly shows that the issue is with your site and not our server. Please be advised that when your site is down, your Control Panel at http://5.153.20.156/ is not down. This shows that the issue is not with our server.
You need to check your site thoroughly and ensure that your site is not utilizing the resources set under your account. From what I can check, there is a limit of 175 MB memory placed on your application pool and this is the max we can give under your current plan.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Anybody any suggestions, you're most welcome!
Coordinator
Apr 25, 2013 at 6:06 PM
I'm afraid you may have to take a better hosting plan that is less restrictive in terms of memory.
Apr 25, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Hi Bertrand,

Thanks for your answer and great project.
Could you tell me how much memory could be sufficient?

Thanks, Robin
Coordinator
Apr 25, 2013 at 9:39 PM
It depends on what modules you're using. Run it locally, then check how much memory IIS is using, and give yourself a wide margin of error.
Apr 25, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Thank again Bertrand, I'll have a look at it.
Feb 10, 2014 at 12:22 PM
Hello,
I have the similar problem. With 80 modules it takes up to 200MB to run my site. Need to upgrade the hosting somehow.

Thank you for this discussion!