Navigation Widget

Topics: Core, General, Troubleshooting
Apr 22, 2013 at 1:36 PM
I'm just testing out this CMS for the first time.
Seems a little bit easier to navigate around then Umbraco.
Little bit.

Maybe it's just because I'm a newbie to this CMS.

I have it installed on my development machine.

It seems I cannot display basic menu buttons like:
Home and Blog

Apparently I need the navigation widget in order to display those basic buttons.
What's really annoying is, I cannot just leave it blank.

When people see those two buttons together, they're going to automatically know it's a menu or some sort of outline of what my website is about.

I really hate having to type in, "Menu" or any word similar to that…

If there was a way I could display those buttons without the navigation widget or, using the navigation widget and not being able to have to answer anything would be nice.

Any simple hacks or tips would be greatly appreciated.

:-)
I'm a novice web developer still taking classes online, I'm sensitive… So be nice
:-p
J/K
Developer
Apr 22, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Edited Apr 22, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Could you elaborate on what you mean with "I cannot just leave it blank"? Define "it".
Could you also explain why you hate typing in "Menu" (also explain where you need to enter that word).
If you don't like adding widgets, you could do it directly from the theme by adding an ad hoc shape to the zone where you want to render a menu, and write shape table provider that generates menu item shapes. It would be similar to how the MenuWidgetPartDriver works (in the Navigation module), but without a content part driver.
Apr 22, 2013 at 5:15 PM
sfmskywalker wrote:
Could you elaborate on what you mean with "I cannot just leave it blank"? Define "it".
Could you also explain why you hate typing in "Menu" (also explain where you need to enter that word).
If you don't like adding widgets, you could do it directly from the theme by adding an ad hoc shape to the zone where you want to render a menu, and write shape table provider that generates menu item shapes. It would be similar to how the MenuWidgetPartDriver works (in the Navigation module), but without a content part driver.
You Just Answered Your Own Questions and mine.

Nevermind.
Not even going to bother with this CMS.
Coordinator
Apr 22, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Bye bye then, and good luck.
Apr 22, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Yup, typing Menu is hard work