Orchard media picker problem

Topics: Troubleshooting
Apr 18, 2013 at 7:21 PM
Edited Apr 18, 2013 at 8:05 PM
This error now appears every time I attempt to put an image into an html widget. I haven't changed anything. It worked this morning and suddenly now we have problems.
Here is the error:

Server Error in '/' Application.
A potentially dangerous Request.Path value was detected from the client (&).
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: A potentially dangerous Request.Path value was detected from the client (&).

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): A potentially dangerous Request.Path value was detected from the client (&).]
System.Web.HttpRequest.ValidateInputIfRequiredByConfig() +9023321
System.Web.PipelineStepManager.ValidateHelper(HttpContext context) +59

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.272

-I also now realize that all of my media files are missing, from within the dashboard in the Media section. If you look in the back-end, the files are still there.
-I am using WebMatrix and this site only exists locally, I have not published
-I tried opening another website from a folder and the media is inaccessible there as well

As always, any help would be appreciated.
Apr 18, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Can you reproduce this issue with a clean instance? Which Orchard version are you using?
Apr 18, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Edited Apr 18, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Thanks for responding.
I am not sure what you mean by clean instance. Relatively new to using any CMS. Using version 1.6. My best guess as to what you mean is to create a new instance of Orchard (in WebMatrix) and load some modules, and see if I still can't access or load any media? Or do you mean load it as folder instead of "My WebSites".

I also cannot upload media if I didn't mention it.
Apr 18, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Yes, I mean creating a new instance / installation / clone / copy of Orchard without custom or 3rd party modules.
Apr 19, 2013 at 1:58 PM
I recently heard Bertrand use the term "repro" and I just don't know exactly what that means. If anyone can explain in simpleton terms what that is, I would appreciate it. As for the clean copy of Orchard...I cooked up a fresh copy of Orchard with WebMatrix and tested the Media and it works fine. This problem exists only on the aforementioned site that I am developing, and also a copy of it that I made last week that I opened up as a folder. So once again, the media is missing in the Dashboard Media area. I cannot add media using the input editor nor can I add media to the Media area. The media DOES exist in the back-end but not in the dashboard area.
Apr 19, 2013 at 2:05 PM
"Repro": A step-by-step description to _repro_duce the result.

I'm sorry, I can't tell you why you're seeing the error in your instance without diving into it. Unless someone else knows, your best bet is to try and reproduce the error in a clean instance and file a bug. You could also try to rebuild your application piece by piece using the new instance. At a certain point you should start seeing the error again, enabling you to identify the root of the issue.