Second-level cache is enabled in a class, but no cache provider was selected. Fake cache used.

Topics: Troubleshooting
Apr 15, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Hi folks,

I get the following two types of warning repeatedly in the orchard log files
WARN Second-level cache is enabled in a class, but no cache provider was selected. Fake cache used.

WARN No loader found for extension "{custom module or theme name here}"
  1. NHibernate: This rather floods the logs when set to warn. How do I get rid of this warning? It implies I should be implementing something, but this looks like low level Orchard/NHibernate internals.
  2. Custom Loader: These modules and themes work fine, any idea what we have not done, or why Orchard complains about loaders?
  3. Does either of these cause a performance issue if not resolved?
cheers,

Paul
Aug 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Edited Aug 21, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Hi,

we are getting very close to launching our product, and we still get this issue (the SysCache warning). Talking to Piedone this sounds like it could be a severe performance issue for us.

Our Scenario:
  • Orchard 1.6
  • Azure Web Roles ( 2 instances)
  • using SQL Azure for database storage.
As far as I'm aware, turning on SysCache is all you are supposed to do. Is there a known issue with this on Azure?

Any help much appreciated - it is really quite urgent! We should have gone live with our product last week...
Coordinator
Aug 21, 2013 at 5:31 PM
SysCache should not be used on Azure with two instances, because each node will get different values from the db.

If you care about front end performance then enable the output cache module.

Daniel Stolt (Decorum) is about to release an azure provider for database caching and output caching using App Fabric. You can ship with output caching right now and wait for this module to be done for a later deployment. I expect it to be done this week based on Daniel's proficiency.
Aug 21, 2013 at 5:50 PM
As discussed in previous posts, we are unable to turn on page output caching, as most of our site is running authenticated (and the page output caching module deliberately does not return cached values in this scenario.

A shame there is no documentation to this effect.