Advice on how to set dev environment and source control

Topics: General
Apr 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM
I would like to develop a new website using the latest 1.x branch and be able to update orchard on a daily basis for now without overwriting my actual site.

Any advice on the best way to setup my dev environment and source control to be able achieve this?
Apr 14, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Gonna assume you're using bitbucket, but this generally works for whatever Mercurial host you use. Basically you want to create a private fork of Orchard code. Bitbucket makes it very easy with their import feature:

Login to bitbucket
Use the Import Repo feature (https://bitbucket.org/repo/import) to import the Orchard code from codeplex
hg clone your new bitbucket repo to your computer
make your changes, commit, and when you push, push changes to your bitbucket repo.
You can pull changes from the orchard codeplex repo to get updated Orchard code. If you use TortoiseSvn you can use the sync feature, and add the codeplex repo as a sync target.
Apr 14, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Thanks for the reply, I have actually set it up like this. When I pull from the original into my fork, do I need to cherry pick at all, or can I simply do a straight pull? will not be modifying orchard itself at all, only adding modules and themes etc.