Content types / layers and second menu

Topics: Customizing Orchard
Apr 14, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Edited Apr 14, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Situation sketch:
On my site I have one main menu that's view-able on the entire site.
This menu has typical menu items like photo's, video's but also a sports club item.

The sports club menu item has several possible options for example:

Main Menu
     Sports Club Menu
          Club 1
          Club 2
When selecting for example "Club 1" the club page opens.

This page (or "sub" site) includes a second (tab) menu that has its own menu options like photo's, contact information and so on (no sub levels). This menu could be different depending on what club is selected when i further expand the site but will be the same for now.

This menu should only be visible for the selected sport club and remain visible for all the pages linked to it.

The sport club are some sort of "small" sites within my primary site.

Question:

Since this will be one of the most important features of my sites how should I best approach this?

I've created a custom Content Type called "club" with the following parts:
  • Common
  • Autoroute
  • Body
  • Custom Properties
  • Identity (?)
  • Menu
  • Navigation
  • Tags
  • Title
  • ( Widget required? If i add this part i get a null point on LayerId) )
  • (Stereotype required?)
After this i created several Content Items for each club followed by adding those items to navigation (main menu).
  1. Are Widgets or a Widget layer required? If so what kind of layer rule?
  2. How do i make the second (tab) menu appear when selecting a club from the main menu?
    When a option is selected from the second tab menu the tab menu should always remain visible (sort of master page). Since each club can be seen as a "sub" site within the main site.
Thanks.
Developer
Apr 15, 2013 at 6:00 PM
To render both menus, you will need two Menu widgets. The second menu needs its start level set to 3, so that it will display child items from the 3rd level menu items only.
Like the Query Menu Item, you probably want to implement your own type of menu item that yields menu items per Club.
To make the second menu appear just for Club menu items, a simple rule could work, e.g.
url('~/club/*')
With that rule, urls such as /club/club-1/homepage will activate the layer and render your second menu widget.
Apr 25, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Edited Apr 25, 2013 at 11:06 PM
sfmskywalker wrote:
To render both menus, you will need two Menu widgets. The second menu needs its start level set to 3, so that it will display child items from the 3rd level menu items only.
Like the Query Menu Item, you probably want to implement your own type of menu item that yields menu items per Club.
To make the second menu appear just for Club menu items, a simple rule could work, e.g.
url('~/club/*')
With that rule, urls such as /club/club-1/homepage will activate the layer and render your second menu widget.
Sorry for the somewhat late reply.
But how exactly do i link different club items (for example club1-/location, club-2/location) on the club menu.

So when i press in the main menu on club 1, the second menu appears and all the menu items on that menu will lead to club 1 items. (location, contact)...
Same goes for club2, etc..

I have made a second menu widget so it appears when i select a club from the main menu.
The start level is set at 1, not really sure what you mean with lvl 3 instead.
Or did you meant for each club i have to make a club menu widget?

At the moment my second menu shows the same if i press on club1 or club2.

Thanks,
Complex.
May 4, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Edited May 4, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Nobody able to put me any further in the proper direction still struggling to find a solution?

The second menu is a dynamic menu that points to different items (page content items) depending on the menu choice on the primary menu.
Been looking at many different angles but confused on what way I should approach this problem.

Any input greatly appreciated.
Thanks!