Error trying to update Orchard repository from codeplex since this morning

Topics: Core, Customizing Orchard, General, Troubleshooting
Apr 14, 2013 at 12:01 PM
I get with Hg on commit b930609294b4
abandon : data/src/Orchard.Web/Core/Orchard.Core.csproj.i@7cf1058c1c6f: unknown parent !

????
Developer
Apr 14, 2013 at 9:14 PM
That happened to me when I tried a new system cleaner, which cleaned all HG metadata files.
I resolved it by re-cloning (after backing up my stuff of course).
Apr 15, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Edited Apr 15, 2013 at 1:38 PM
I lost half a day on this ... and I had not used a system cleaner, no change in config.
From time to time I dream about 3rd type dev tools, since the early 80s not so many progresses.

One question how do you manage you local modules and the orchard project.
Actually I have Hg managing Orchard and I get updates from codeplex, but in my local repository I keep the local VS solution, simply mixing it with codeplex version in order to have my modules & themes.
All the source code from my modules and external modules is not included in the Hg local repository.

?
Developer
Apr 15, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Edited Apr 15, 2013 at 2:17 PM
All of my modules live in their own repository.
When I start an Orchard project, I start by cloning Orchard from 1.x. Then, for each theme and module for which I created a repository, I clone into the Themes and Modules folders. Whenever I make a change to my own themes or modules, I push the changes to their repo. When I want to update to tip of Orchard 1.x, I pull from the repo on CodePlex.

I used to create my own Visual Studio solution, but found it to be easier to just use Orchard.sln and create a new Solution Folder where I add my custom stuff.
That way I don't have to customize the build scripts: everything just works when it is time to build & deploy.
Apr 15, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Look better, thanks, More work but safer.
I just remembered that before the problem with Hg I received and applied VS2012 pack 2 ????? Have you applied it ?
Apr 15, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Edited Apr 15, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Another question related to Hg/codeplex : I just discovered that it doesn't keep the original file date when doing a clone, is it a normal behaviour ? I am very surprised I don't remember any vcf changing the file date ?
After my recent clone, I tryed to deploy and it failed on the update of sqlce because the date of assemblies is the date of the clone on my computer and it is in use on the target.....
Bug ? Hg ? W8 ?
Developer
Apr 15, 2013 at 4:24 PM
CSADNT wrote:
I just remembered that before the problem with Hg I received and applied VS2012 pack 2 ????? Have you applied it ?
I did so yesterday, but I didn't have any issues with Mercurial afterwards. What I did notice is that whatever file I opened in VS, the document was blank. That was a bit scary, but resolved itself after restarting VS. It's the number 1 remedy. :)
Developer
Apr 15, 2013 at 4:28 PM
CSADNT wrote:
Another question related to Hg/codeplex : I just discovered that it doesn't keep the original file date when doing a clone, is it a normal behaviour ? I am very surprised I don't remember any vcf changing the file date ?
After my recent clone, I tryed to deploy and it failed on the update of sqlce because the date of assemblies is the date of the clone on my computer and it is in use on the target.....
Bug ? Hg ? W8 ?
I couldn't say. I would think it's normal that the file date is set to when the file is actually created on one's machine, not when it was uploaded to the repo.
However I doubt it has something to do with failing your deployment. I deploy all the time without any issues.

It sounds like your deployment failed because a target file was in use. Nothing an app pool recycle can't fix.
Apr 15, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Edited Apr 15, 2013 at 4:33 PM
I have used VCSs where the file stamp was preserved, in the case of systems dlls that's recommanded.
Developer
Apr 15, 2013 at 4:34 PM
I see. Well I haven't come across a situation yet where the file stamp is important, and I hope to keep it that way. Sounds brittle if you ask me.
Developer
Apr 15, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Except for FTP / Publishing situations where the system needs to know what file is newer of course.