Rackspace Cloud

Topics: Installing Orchard
Apr 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Edited Apr 11, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Has anyone successfully installed Orchard (latest version) on Rackspace Cloud?

I can find contradicting reports on here about that:
  • some people say it works on asp.net 4.0 or 4.5 Rackspace Cloud installs
  • some people here say it can't be installed with Medium Trust.
Has anyone actually managed to install it under Rackspace Cloud?

--- I should add that I tried to run it locally on IIS7.5/Win 7 with the Rackspace Cloud restricted permissions config included and that works, but I still can't get past some compilation issues with a real deployment.

The exception I'm getting on Rackspace is:
Inheritance security rules violated while overriding member: 'log4net.Util.ReadOnlyPropertiesDictionary.GetObjectData(System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationInfo, System.Runtime.Serialization.StreamingContext)'. Security accessibility of the overriding method must match the security accessibility of the method being overriden.
That sounds like it's maybe a trust issue, but I emulate Rackspace Trust already on my test machine. Hmm.

Looks like it's this log 4 net issue:
.. and you have it here...

Ok, you don't support Rackspace Cloud - end of story. Nice system, not useful for me I'm afraid. Maybe you could make that more obvious in the documentation, to save others wasting their time.
Apr 12, 2013 at 12:49 AM
First time I've heard that Rackspace was using a weird partial trust setting was this morning. We can't test all hosters out there, sorry. Now, we know, and hopefully others looking for it will find this post.
Apr 12, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Edited Apr 12, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Yeah, here's the trust specification. They've run that way since they were Mosso. They haven't published a 4.5 specific trust model, although maybe that's the same as 4.0.

I use them for nearly everything these days as they're much more reliable than any other of the mass hosting companies, and their support is good. They now know they don't support Orchard and so that will save other customers hassle. My experience with large systems means I like things which are as locked down as possible.

Clicking the "documentation" button on this page shows text system requirements for use "full trust" on the page there. However the actual documentation for the install doesn't mention this requirement. Perhaps that could be fixed.

I don't think Orchard should test hosters at all, although I disagree with the analysis in the linked ticket that limited trust is "no longer recommended" or that it's a good idea for shared hosts to allow more trust than's needed. But that's the real world for ya. You can either support it or not, but Microsoft haven't provided the justification suggested at all.

Yet I can today run my test IIS server with Rackspace's config and that has no problems. Thinking about it, I first installed Orchard precisely as per the instructions (yeah, I read those, not the "documentation"). Then I installed the Rackspace limited trust config, once I knew how Orchard was structured. So my guess is that the problem is likely that it's logging the setup process (something I care nothing about, assuming it works), and that's what's failing on Rackspace. If I can work out what precisely it is, then maybe I can cheat it that way, or hack log4net out of there or something.
Apr 13, 2013 at 6:16 AM
Log4net won't be your only problem. We dropped medium trust, so it's no longer tested. What's not tested will break.

Summoning Sébastien, if you really need to hear it from a Microsoft employee.
Apr 13, 2013 at 5:03 PM
I think that Lucene and FluentNHibernate aren't compatible with MT also.
Apr 14, 2013 at 8:58 PM
You seem to have avoided the point.

Lucene works fine under Rackspace trust models.

But don't sweat it, the "we don't support 'indecent' hosters" tells me everything I need to know. There's no need for justifications.
Apr 17, 2013 at 6:44 AM
Who said anything about decency? What we don't support is medium trust, and we have good reasons for that. What Rackspace doesn't support is full trust, and we don't think they have good reasons for that.

What point exactly have we avoided?
Apr 17, 2013 at 5:18 PM
It seems that Lucene has fixed the MT issue only recently, c.f. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENENET-500
And same thing for NHibernate.
Log4Net too has just been fixed last month: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4NET-347#comment-13542158

Because we can't guarantee all the libraries we are using will be working on MT, we can't guaranty that every Orchard release will also be working on MT. So this will always be a not "Supported" feature. If we can make it work I am fine with it. But each release might break on this specific issue, so you should not rely on Orchard working on MT.

And again, I confirm that Microsoft recommends no to rely on MT, and hosters are also aware of it. The only recommend way to isolate applications on ASP.NET is to run them is separated app pools with correct permissions.