Orchard Documentation (Looking for more of it??)

Topics: Administration, Core, Customizing Orchard, General, Writing modules, Writing themes
Apr 10, 2013 at 2:35 AM
I'm putting together a list of topics that need to be created for http://docs.orchardproject.net that I will be writting and am reaching out to you the community for anything that people feel is missing or could be expanded on. This could be from simply using Orchard, coding some fancy module in Orchard or maybe troubleshooting. No topics are to small or large. Thanks in advance! -Adrian
Developer
Apr 10, 2013 at 8:06 AM
  • More on drivers & shapes: what happens when a request comes in, how do drivers relate to controllers, what happens with the driver results, how do the shapes end up being part of the big shape tree. There's a section on http://docs.orchardproject.net/Documentation/How-Orchard-works called Request Lifecycle. Perhaps start with that and elaborate with diagrams?
  • Content Manager API
  • More into-depth Theming / shape customization / alternates / tips & tricks
  • How to work with custom controllers and work with the Orchard API for example to store submitted form values. One of the first things I wanted to know when I started was how to save my own entities to the DB, without working with content items.
  • HqlQuery API (although this might change significantly).
  • Writing custom Projection Filters, Forms & Layouts.
  • Using the Forms API?
  • Programmatic Taxonomies: how to work with taxonomies from code, e.g. how to create taxonomies & terms.
Apr 13, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Needs to be done. The success of this project depends on easy access to well written documentation the appeals to developers with varied experience.
Apr 19, 2013 at 5:57 PM
A lot of basic stuff is missing, for example how do I make a simple Contact form. Probably 99% of the website will need something like that, but you have to figure it out all by yourself trying to get some information on the Codeplex forum or on Stackoverflow. Such basic things should be with an example in a tutorial.

The most important part is also lacking. How do I get a default setup online as fast as possible.
How to deploy to an IIS machine for example. There is a very short description (http://docs.orchardproject.net/Documentation/Building-and-deploying-Orchard-from-a-source-code-drop), but if one step doesn't work you are out of luck.

My experience in general is that only after you have used it a couple of times you understand the tutorial, which should be the other way around...
Apr 26, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Edited Apr 26, 2013 at 5:49 PM
cerveser, those are actually next on my list.

sfmskywalker, I'll work on those too!
Apr 26, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Edited Apr 26, 2013 at 6:40 PM
May be the first task would be to create good documentation for new items: workkflow, Media library, etc.... this will cut the backlog groth...
Missing documentation also on How to Debug Orchard....nothing here.
+How to trace Orchard site when you can't debug.
I have also noticed all the events bus or buses (how many, which are the main, when to use an event bus and when avoid.....)
Apr 29, 2013 at 4:36 AM
I concur with cerveser that some basics need covering. Personally, I learn better from tutorials which take an abstract concept and show a useful implementation, such as

I'm thinking along the lines of the classic Northwind database from Access - a core sample site which you can use in tutorials, such as:
  • Creating a page viewable to authenticated members only (hits on widgets, zones, ...)
  • Creating a calendar of events (custom content parts, ...)
  • Replacing <Site Name> with a graphic logo
  • Implementing taxonomies, projections, etc.
May 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM
One of the things I will be creating is a sort of walk through or an 'Orchard for Dummies' type of thing that starts at ground zero and shows a user (not necessarily directed at developers) everything from knowing how to find hosting space to implementing some very common modules. Common modules being those from the core and outside of the core (i.e. Custom Forms, Vandelay and the like) that are used often. Then keep going into the theming and maybe end with a sort of 'things to check when deploying'. I think that speaks to HeyItsTodd's point, ya? The idea is to provide more resources to a broader range of folks. I've noticed people that are accustomed to doing WP (I don't want to spell it... out of spite) get frustrated right away with not knowing how to work with a windows hosting environment much less how to find one. I do think a front-end only person is more than capable of putting together some amazing sites just by learning some of the tools and modules of Orchard.

I spoke with Bertrand yesterday and we seemed to agree that I'll work on the usability documents first to cover a wide audience, then the really technical docs would follow.

Sound good?
Developer
May 3, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Definitely good.
May 16, 2013 at 2:26 PM
sfmskywalker wrote:
  • More on drivers & shapes: what happens when a request comes in, how do drivers relate to controllers, what happens with the driver results, how do the shapes end up being part of the big shape tree. There's a section on http://docs.orchardproject.net/Documentation/How-Orchard-works called Request Lifecycle. Perhaps start with that and elaborate with diagrams?
  • Content Manager API
  • How to work with custom controllers and work with the Orchard API for example to store submitted form values. One of the first things I wanted to know when I started was how to save my own entities to the DB, without working with content items.
  • Using the Forms API?
  • Programmatic Taxonomies: how to work with taxonomies from code, e.g. how to create taxonomies & terms.
+1
Nov 12, 2013 at 1:44 PM
sfmskywalker wrote:
  • Content Manager API
  • Using the Forms API?
I am very curious if I can learn something more about the point how to work with custom controllers (and driver's under the hood life cycle) and also with the Orchard API's for storing user's submitted form values without working with content items
Coordinator
Nov 12, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Feel free to steal anything from http://weblogs.asp.net/bleroy/archive/2011/03/29/what-happens-when-i-request-a-page-in-orchard.aspx for what happens when a request comes in.