Upgrading from 1.6 to 1.6+

Topics: General, Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Apr 4, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Hello, I'm pretty new to Orchard and I'm developing my first website using it.
I noticed that in 1.6 the navigation has a bug with the menu starting level and breadcrumb that has been fixed lately. If I want to upgrade to the latest Orchard from the repository how should I proceed? I managed to build from source but then just replacing the database gives me errors. Thanks in advance for your help!
Apr 4, 2013 at 10:30 AM
As far as I know there's no upgrade path from 1.6 to 1.x yet that will migrate breaking changes (if there are any). Once 1.7 is released, there will be instructions/tools available for upgrading from 1.6 to 1.7.

If you are getting an error with simply replacing the database with yours, you will have to identify what the exact error is and resolve accordingly.
If you post the error here, we may be able to help.

Alternatively, depending on the work you've done so far, you could export your content types and items with the Import/Export feature from your 1.6 instance and import them into your upgraded instance, instead of overwriting the database.

Make sure you copy over any 3rd party modules and themes.
Apr 4, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Thanks I'll definitely have a look at the import / export module, maybe it's the easiest way.

The error I'm getting is a System.NullReferenceException in:

Row 3: ContentItem contentItem = Model.Content.ContentItem.ContentMenuItemPart.Content;