Concerning the sandbox for Orchard modules

Topics: Administration, Customizing Orchard, Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting, Writing modules
Apr 4, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Edited Apr 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Just a suggestion as a followup to the last committee discussion concerning a sandbox for new modules in Orchard to avoid crashes on install.

It is clear that this is something out off scope for Orchard source code. Too many thing to impemlent and risk of slowing code stream.

But Orchard community with Microsoft help, could offer a sandow service free of charges.
Something easier and faster than the Azure Web Site install, only Orchard, only small size, only local Sql DB.
The Orchard gallery will be included directly to select modules to install.
Any user reserves an half day slot on the service and do its sandboxing with its modules of choice.
Nothing kept or collected, as soon as finished everything is recycled.

Isn't it a good idea to propage Orchard ?
Apr 4, 2013 at 11:59 AM
What would be the benefits of that compared to sandboxing on one's local development machine?
Apr 4, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Edited Apr 4, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Main benefits will not be technical, it will be a great positive and marketing action for Orchard community.
Opening the world.
The technical material is so often negative when the question is support....so many negatively closed questions/answers.

If we stay on the technical side, I could bring:
1) Having a standard test bed, independant of local conditions: valid Orchard source code, valid module from gallery (good bye all the obsolete ones)
2) You don't need to have a PC able to run it: just use your smartphone or your tablet...time are changing, lets benefit from Cloud and remove the cost barrier
3) Have normalized trace files allowing a standard interpretation and easier identification of problems
4) This could also be a validation step for new module opening access to galery.
Coordinator
Apr 5, 2013 at 6:42 AM
Do you have time to set-up something like that?
Apr 5, 2013 at 7:25 AM
Edited Apr 5, 2013 at 8:07 AM
From may 15th I could have if not alone.
I see 3 main tasks:
  • front-end with Orchard managing request and allocating time slots
  • the standard image VM building which provides Orchard installed +Gallery this could be triggered using workflow + azure powershell scripts)
  • the after test back end collecting results (workflow again)
??
Coordinator
Apr 5, 2013 at 7:36 AM
Maybe publish a call for help in a separate thread and see if others would be interested in doing it with you?
Apr 5, 2013 at 8:09 AM
Without some sponsoring I am fairly sure of result of such a request.
Apr 5, 2013 at 8:28 AM
Edited Apr 5, 2013 at 8:32 AM
inserted something here by error, don't care thanks.
Coordinator
Apr 6, 2013 at 12:58 AM
Sponsoring from whom?
Apr 6, 2013 at 6:11 AM
Some big authority in Orchard org
Coordinator
Apr 6, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Do you have someone specific in mind? What do you mean exactly by sponsoring?