Orchard 1.6 : Create custom dynamic image carouse

Topics: Writing modules
Mar 21, 2013 at 5:33 AM
Hi Team,

We need to create custom dynamic image carousel and put it on page using Orchard 1.6. Now we are really in trouble how we can implement this?Admin can upload images, text and link for this carousel.

My understanding to develop this carousel is as below,
  1. We need to create Content type with name “ImageCarousel” with fields as ImagePath, Title, description and Link. Here in this content type admin can add, update data for carousel.
  2. Then we need to create Module which will fetch data from “ImageCarousel” content type and in View of this module I will used jQuery to apply carousel affect on images retrieve from “ImageCarousel” content type.
Please give us some solution to achieve this.
Mar 21, 2013 at 3:36 PM
There are already several modules on the Orchard gallery for image carousels. You can use one of them, or base your code off them.
Mar 21, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Hi Monarch,
Thanks for your reply, but we really need to develop a custom carousel. Plesae suggest code and wat to implement in Orchard 1.6.
Mar 21, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Just curious, why do you need to create a custom one? You didn't describe anything that one or more of the existing modules can't already do.

Your description of what to do to create such a module is generally correct, but your question is too vague to answer. Sounds like you knwo what you want to build, so I would recommend you start building it. If you need guidance, look at the existing carousel or slider modules on the Orchard gallery as an example, or use them as a starting point and modify them to meet your specific requirements. If you still have trouble then come back and ask your questions (hopefully more specific than what you have asked here).
Mar 21, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Hi Monarch,
Actually I am very new to Orachrd. From last 2 days I started working on this CMS and not having knowledge to develop below requirements.

Here my requirement is that,
  1. In carousel images will be dynamic and admin user can add more or can delete the existing images, as well as text on images.
  2. Also, there will be a Contact us form will be on carousel. Any ways we can manage this using .css, but my question is how to develop a control in Orchard and how can I register it on page.
Mar 21, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Hi Monarch,

Actually I am very new to Orachrd. From last 2 days I started working on this CMS and not having knowledge to develop below requirements.

Here my requirement is,

1. 1. In carousel images will be dynamic and admin user can add more or can delete the existing images, as well as text on images.

3. 2. Also, there will be a Contact us form will be on carousel. Any ways we can manage this using .css, but my question is how to develop a control in Orchard and how can I register it on page.

Thanks.

Regards,

Pavan Joshi

Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:50 PM
To: Pavan Joshi
Subject: Re: Orchard 1.6 : Create custom dynamic image carouse [orchard:437439]

Just curious, why do you need to create a custom one? You didn't describe anything that one or more of the existing modules can't already do.

Your description of what to do to create such a module is generally correct, but your question is too vague to answer. Sounds like you knwo what you want to build, so I would recommend you start building it. If you need guidance, look at the existing carousel or slider modules on the Orchard gallery as an example, or use them as a starting point and modify them to meet your specific requirements. If you still have trouble then come back and ask your questions (hopefully more specific than what you have asked here).

Mar 21, 2013 at 5:05 PM
It still sounds to me like you could use one of the existing modules rather than start from scratch.

If you want to build from scratch you have described what you need to do, so the next step would be to read the Orchard documentation to learn how to build the module you need, and make sure to read the docs about creating widgets, as that will allow you to publish your carousels to different locations on your site.
Mar 21, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Thanks. I will try to implement as you say and come back to you if have any queries.
Mar 23, 2013 at 5:05 AM
You can use this module:

http://gallery.orchardproject.net/List/Modules/Orchard.Module.Amba.ImagePowerTools

I´ve already used as it works very well.
Mar 24, 2013 at 1:20 AM
You can use this module:

http://gallery.orchardproject.net/List/Modules/Orchard.Module.Amba.ImagePowerTools

I´ve already used as it works very well.
Mar 25, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Hi TheMonarch,

Thanks for your response. I got solutions with your suggestions.

Now, I have some problem in developing with Module. I have posted it on discussion forum.

Will you please suggest changes for the same.

Here is link for forum : http://orchard.codeplex.com/discussions/437907

Regards,

Pavan Joshi

Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:36 PM
To: Pavan Joshi
Subject: Re: Orchard 1.6 : Create custom dynamic image carouse [orchard:437439]

It still sounds to me like you could use one of the existing modules rather than start from scratch.

If you want to build from scratch you have described what you need to do, so the next step would be to read the Orchard documentation to learn how to build the module you need, and make sure to read the docs about creating widgets, as that will allow you to publish your carousels to different locations on your site.