Orchard in TFS: what about App_Data/Dependencies?

Topics: General
Mar 19, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Edited Mar 19, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Hi Orchard guru's,

After building a few basic Orchard sites by myself, I now need to share a bigger Orchard project with other teammembers. We are using Team Foundation.

I checked in the complete solution, as well as the DLL’s in the "lib" folder.

However, I'm not sure about App_Data/Dependencies.

On my machine, I can clear this folder and everything gets rebuilt.

On the machine of another teammember, this is not the case. It contains only a few DLL's. It does not, for example, contain the DLL of a custom modules and therefore he can't run the solution.

We solved it temporary by referencing the custom module in Orchard.Web, but obviously this is not the way to go.

Why does he need that reference (and I do not)?
Why does my machine (re)creates it in App_Data/Depencies (and his machine does not)?

Thanks for any advice!
Developer
Mar 19, 2013 at 4:20 PM
You should not include App_Data as part of source control.
Orchard will create the Dependencies folder for you when you run the site.
If his machine isn't doing that, then I'm not sure. What happens on a clean Orchard instance on your team member's machine? Same issue?
Also be sure to check the error logs, perhaps it's a permissions issue on App_Data (being read only for example).
Mar 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM
App_Data is not included in TFS (with the exception of the settings.txt).

Should Orchard also rebuild "dependencies.xml" and "dependencies.compiled.xml" during startup?

A clean Orchard, installed locally, works fine. The version he got from TFS doesn't. Permissions should be okay, since Orchard does place a few DLL's in the "dependencies" folder (like Ionic.Zip.dll, IronRuby.dll, etc...) but none of the Orchard.whatever.dll's...
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2013 at 2:23 AM
Yes. It will rebuild all that, provided it has write permissions on app_data.
Mar 20, 2013 at 7:42 AM
I will do some more research today.

Thanks both, much appreciated.
Mar 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM
It seems to be working correctly today.

Don't know why it didn't yesterday. Maybe Orchard needed a good recycle of the application pool :)

Thanks.