Orchard FTP to single frontend source

Topics: Administration, Core, Customizing Orchard, General
Mar 11, 2013 at 4:36 PM
I wanted some information on publishing an orchard site to a remote production front end that only provides FTP access. The front end is limited at .NET 4.5 and IIS7 and I cannot change it due to the remote providers restrictions.

What we would like to do is use the administrative and preview functions of orchard on a server in the local office. When we are ready to publish out changes to "delivery" or production. We would like to package it up and FTP it over.

Is this a possibility with Orchard? What would the steps be in doing this? Is there additional extensions? Thanks so much, in advance, for your responses.
Mar 11, 2013 at 4:42 PM
You cannot ftp data unless you use SqlCE but that's not recommended in production. However, you can use the import/export feature to move data between Orchard instances.
Mar 11, 2013 at 4:46 PM
That's a bummer, we do not have access to connect to a SQL server on the production side. We only have standard FTP and have confirmed that an MVC2 based application does work fine.
Mar 11, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Edited Mar 11, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Let me clarify:
  1. you can use SqlCE, which means you don't need SQL Server, but we don't recommend it because the performance is not going to be great.
  2. If you use SqlCE, you can deploy the database using ftp, but that's a clumsy way of deploying data: if you have new data created in production (comments, etc.), you won't be able to merge that with your local dev database.
  3. ftp is a file transfer protocol, not a data transfer protocol. This is why we have import/export, which enables data transfers between Orchard instance. One is not designed to do what you want to do, the other is. I don't know why you would insist on using ftp.
  4. You might want to switch to a hosting company that provides a SQL database. It seems like your current plan is too cheap to be useful. You don't have to, but I recommend you think about it.
  5. The import/export feature works no matter what database technology you choose for your site.
Mar 11, 2013 at 5:06 PM
100% agreed, however it's a client requirement. We are trying to transition a CA government static website to a CMS, and really like orchard for it's ease of use. However, they have a mandate that states all "public" facing sites must be hosted in their environment(s), a mandate which also requires FTP usage for all departments. After multiple meetings and deliberation, we are still in the same place. It's a bummer when bureaucratic policies trump viable solutions, but it's also common :)

While it was a reach, I was hoping it would be something Orchard could do.
Mar 11, 2013 at 5:11 PM
If you don't have a choice in the matter, then deploy a SqlCe database through ftp. It's far from optimal but it will work.

However, you need to verify that their environment is capable of hosting Orchard. That means ASP.NET 4.0 Integrated Mode and full trust. Good luck.