Upgrade Orchard version & do refactoring

Topics: General
Mar 6, 2013 at 7:17 AM
Our company website uses old, 1.1 version of Orchard. Website is full of inline CSS, scripts and other unpleasant things. I'd want to upgrade it to the last version of Orchard and organize it in more accurate way. Also some of the modules are not necessary anymore, others need to be upgraded or replaced. So I'd like to save all the content (like pages, blogs) but widgets, modules and theme should be refactored.

I had two options:
1) try to upgrade and refactor existing website OR
2) install new Orchard instance, re-create widgets and transfer data

I've started with the second way (as it seemed to be more "clean" and predictable), and now running 1.6 version with working menu & theme, but it's not clear to me how to transfer content. There are a lot of pages and blog posts, re-creating manually is too hard. I need to write SQL script that can transfer only design-independent content, not touching widgets, but Orchard has quite non-obvious database and I'd like to ask then for advice, how such a script should look like. Or maybe it's not a good idea at all and I should do this upgrade other ways?
Mar 6, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Personally I would have gone with option 2) as well and use the ImportExport module to export Pages and Blogs + BlogPosts.
Mar 12, 2013 at 10:39 AM
I've tried with ImportExport module, but pages loses their titles and permalinks. Think it's caused by using different versions of the ImportExport on source and destination. Could you please share any suggestion on this?
Mar 12, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Compare the format of the items in export files of both instances, and write a small XSLT to move from old to new.