Orchard 1.6 on Windows 8 with IIS8

Topics: Writing modules
Mar 5, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Anyone running orchard on windows 8 with IIS8? I have following issues
  1. Its timing out when I create or change something in my module such as driver or migration.
  2. Most of the time migration is not working, I have to reset iis all the time.
Never had this issue in previous version of orchard. I am using sql compact edition.

Settings : Idle-Timout is set to zero in application pool.

Regards,
Hayri
Coordinator
Mar 7, 2013 at 8:29 PM
I am running it. I've never seen those issues. Any exceptions in app_data\logs?
Mar 7, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Hi Bertrand,

Thanks for replying. There was no any error in the log files. Sikpe helped me. I was using full source of the orchard instead of compiled one. Probably dynamic compilation was slow with the full source code. I downloaded compiled version of the orchard and did a test module it worked well.

Regards,
Hayri

To: [email removed]
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 13:29:15 -0800
Subject: Re: Orchard 1.6 on Windows 8 with IIS8 [orchard:435490]

I am running it. I've never seen those issues. Any exceptions in app_data\logs?
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (orchard@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email orchard@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Jul 28, 2013 at 3:53 PM
Hi,

I'm getting this too. Windows 8 x64 professional with IIS8 Express (but also tested with full IIS) and Full SQL 2012.

Every so often the page on localhost doesn't load and you have to refresh a few times to see it come back.

Using full source on 1.7.

I'm using a new laptop but on my old one when I upgraded from Win7, I never had a problem.

Steve
Jul 29, 2013 at 10:52 AM
I use the same setup, but it all works ok for me.
No issues
Aug 14, 2013 at 10:42 AM
I really cant work it out. The same orchard code works on a windows vista and windows 7. The only other difference is that the new setup is SSD.

its getting really annoying. Normal websites work but nor orchard sites.
Developer
Aug 14, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Do you have anything in your app_data/logs?

I run the same setup as you. Maybe something is missing in your Windows Features? IIS metadata?
Aug 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM
logs are blank. Happens on a fresh install of orchard. and tried on 1.7 and 1.6.1. Also, tried on asp.net dev server, iis express and full iis8. Not sure what features i need to enable, but i have the standard stuff enabled as part of win8 pro.
Aug 14, 2013 at 1:08 PM
It happens on SSD.

Aug 14, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Whats the fix?
Aug 14, 2013 at 1:11 PM

There is no fix. It is annoying...

Aug 14, 2013 at 1:17 PM
its more than annoying, its costing me money! How do you know it's SSD for sure??
Aug 14, 2013 at 1:21 PM

It works fine with spin hdd.

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Check the permissions of the folder at SSD / HDD and compare. Maybe your SSD doesn't have all the right permissions while the HDD does?
Aug 14, 2013 at 4:29 PM
its not permissions because if you just keep refreshing the browser and it comes on.
Coordinator
Aug 14, 2013 at 5:34 PM
I have been running on SSD for 3 years now, two different models, windows 7 then now windows 8, no issues.
Also, how Orchard "could" do something which would behave differently on a SSD ? One scenario ?
Can't it be an issue with this SSD and file access in general ?

The only thing I see might be related to File System Watcher as you are mentioning code changes. Can you try to disable all watchers by altering the config/HostComponents.config ?
Aug 14, 2013 at 5:43 PM
change the log to trace all in log4net ?
Sun at 10:50 AM
Just to let everyone know that this was down to AVG running - once this was removed it all works beautifully. - thanks Seb!