Trying to manually install ORCHARD on IIS 8 EXPRESS

Topics: Installing Orchard
Mar 4, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Hi,

I'm using IIS 8 EXPRESS and wish to install ORCHARD using only IIS Express and avoid WebMatrix.

I downloaded the zip package and extracted it's content into a folder in my root site, my application pool is set for integrated mode and using .NET 4.0. When I then go on my folder and then manager folder and select BROWSE, nothing happens and get a server error.

Is there something I didn't do? I also noticed that when I click on modules, when it reads the web.config I get an error on line 126 stating :
Error : Configuration section not allowed to be set below application. If I remove the WarmupHttpModule, I can open and see the modules.

I tried to install using WebMatrix and it works and yes I noticed there is a section for webmatrix and IIS EXPRESS. Now does this mean I can only install orchard on IIS EXPRESS using WebMatrix and that the IIS section which I tried to do only applies for a full version of IIS?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Coordinator
Mar 4, 2013 at 4:47 PM
What is the error? I'm suspecting you pointed your IIS site to the root of the extracted archive instead of the Orchard folder contained therein, as explained here: http://docs.orchardproject.net/Documentation/Manually-installing-Orchard-zip-file
Mar 4, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Edited Mar 4, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Hi,

That is not exactly what I have done.. I have extracted the content in the root but then right-clicked on the node that says "ORCHARD" under my Default Web Site, and requested the browser option and what I get is this :

Server error
The website encountered an error while retrieving http://localhost:9080/Orchard. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly.
Here are some suggestions:
Reload this webpage later.
HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfill the request.

I have some PHP projects which are running in other folders so it is not a IIS configuration or could be a IIS configuration when it comes to ASP.NET applications such as ORCHARD. But made sure to follow the steps as specified int he documentation " If you are using IIS 7, configure it to run in integrated mode, and configure the application pool to run the .NET Framework version 4.".. But that is for a IIS 7 configuration, dunno if something has changed in IIS 8 which would cause this not to work.

And again, if you click on ORCHARD and then select MODULES I get this error :
I get an error on line 126 stating :
Error : Configuration section not allowed to be set below application. If I remove the WarmupHttpModule, I can open and see the modules.

Thanks
Coordinator
Mar 4, 2013 at 8:57 PM
The error message is telling you that you haven't configured the right folder to be the application's root.

By the way, PHP being able to run doesn't tell you much in this situation.
Mar 4, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Edited Mar 4, 2013 at 9:32 PM
I agree, I'm just saying I have been able to get FastCGI setup to run php and basic html functions.

Could you detail what you mean by the "RIGHT FOLDER TO BE THE APPLICATION's root"? If I extracts the content in F:\htdocs, which drops TBEX.xml, parameters.xml, manifest.xml and install.sql and the folder Orchard in the root (F:\htdocs being defined as my root for Default Web Site), what am I missing?

Keep in mind I am not using IIS but IIS EXPRESS...

BertrandLeRoy wrote:
The error message is telling you that you haven't configured the right folder to be the application's root.

By the way, PHP being able to run doesn't tell you much in this situation.
Mar 4, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Anyone else experiencing problem with IIS 8 Express? Works fine with webmatrix 2 but so far can't get this working with IIS 8 Express..

Here is what I did :

1) Using DefaultAppPool configured in integrated and using framework 4.
2) Extracted the content of Orchard 1.6 into my Default Web Site physical folder under F:\htdocs\Orchard (yes, I only extracted the content inside the Orchard folder of the ZIP)

3) Assigned READ, WRITE & EXECUTE rights to IIS APPPOOL\DefaultAppPool to my Orchard folder.
4) I hit BROWSE and I get an error

Server error
The website encountered an error while retrieving http://localhost:9080/Orchard. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly.
Here are some suggestions:
Reload this webpage later.
HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfill the request.

5) Also, when I click on the Orchard folder, I get options on the right, one of them being MODULES and I get an error message on line number 126 of the web.config that comes with Orchard 1.6...

Anyone else tried to use Orchard with IIS 8 Express and had similar problems?

Thanks for your help.
Coordinator
Mar 4, 2013 at 11:05 PM
As the documentation says, the root for the IIS application must be the folder named Orchard that is under the zip. You are not saying how you set-up IIS.
Mar 4, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Hi,

Of course I didn't say how I configured IIS since I am coming from an Apache background and I am totally new to IIS. I installed the base components of IIS from windows 8 pro.. Just clicked on Internet Information Services and thats it.

Anyways, I managed to find the problem. I was missing IIS : ASP.NET and also installed IIS : ASP.NET 4.5 which then gave me these errors :

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 87: ASP.NET to identify an incoming user.
Line 88: -->
Line 89: <authentication mode="Forms">
Line 90: <forms loginUrl="~/Users/Account/AccessDenied" timeout="2880" />
Line 91: </authentication>

So then I proceeded and converted my folder to an application, browsed and it worked.

Perhaps I didn't look around enough in the installation documentation but I believe these steps would be nice to include in there. Why? You never know when you will be faced with someone who has just installed the basics and might be missing a bunch of components... Now the problems I have might be specific to IIS 8 EXPRESS as I didn't see anyone having to do what I did with IIS 7.0 or IIS 7.5 express.
Coordinator
Mar 4, 2013 at 11:50 PM
That's a good suggestion.
Mar 4, 2013 at 11:51 PM
How could we have not known that you came from an Apache background. Silly us. ;)
Although this is all basic IIS stuff, perhaps you're right and we should include it into the docs.
If you feel like it, the docs are open source as well and we could use some help getting them up to date.
Coordinator
Mar 5, 2013 at 1:21 AM
I added some information on IIS configuration here: http://docs.orchardproject.net/Documentation/Installing-Orchard

Please feel free to add to that as necessary.
Mar 5, 2013 at 2:07 AM
Edited Mar 5, 2013 at 2:07 AM
Probably no one has time for this, but it would be nice to provide something like this powershell script that uses Chocolatey to set up a dev environment.

Using this you could install all the necessary IIS components, including Hg if you wanted, and do an Orchard clone, or you could do "cinst <PackageName> -source webpi" to install stuff from WebPI, like UrlRewrite2 module, ASP.NET, and even Orchard (the webpi version).
Coordinator
Mar 5, 2013 at 3:16 AM
That would be neat. Do it.