Comic Module

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General, Installing Orchard
Mar 4, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Hello and good morning,

I have a site at http://www.remixcomic.com By profession I'm a web developer. I wrote the site but I would like to invest more time into getting my comics drawn than fixing my code bugs. I've downloaded Orchard CMS and I'm wondering how should I go about replicating my home page comic partial view and I also have a custom view that handles my archived comics. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as to what's the best course of action to move my site over to Orchard.
Developer
Mar 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM
You'll probably want to define your own Content Types (e.g. Comic) and attach some Content Parts (think TitlePart, AutoroutePart, SocialPart, etc) and Content Fields such as MediaPickerField. These parts and fields generate shapes that you can skin using Razor templates. To replicate your current homepage, create a Comic content item and set it as the home page.
Mar 4, 2013 at 3:39 PM
So if I set a new comic to display on the home page will I have to remove the old comic or will I have to put in some custom logic that archives the current home page and then sets the new? I've just started reading about Orchard so some of this stuff is really new to me.
Developer
Mar 4, 2013 at 4:55 PM
You won't have to do anything else: Let's say Batman is currently set as the homepage, and now you want to set The Avengers as the homepage: All you have to do is check The Avengers to be the homepage. AutoRoute (the module responsible for setting the homepage) will automatically uncheck Batman as being the homepage.
Mar 4, 2013 at 5:14 PM
Nice! So I would be able to use projections to display my archived comics and display it as a widget (not sure if that's correct)?
Developer
Mar 4, 2013 at 5:28 PM
That's entirely correct. :)
Mar 4, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Am I able to change the way the paging works by setting up my own view to override the default? This is going to sound crazy but I need the navigation work in reverse.
ie... I need to display the latest comic first but I need these <<(last) <(previous) buttons to be highlighted and >(next) >>(current) so it should look like

<(last) <<(previous) Current Comic (next)> (current)>> can I do that?
Developer
Mar 4, 2013 at 6:13 PM
You certainly can do all that. Especially if you get the source from the 1.x branch, it has some nice improvements to style and customize Pager shapes.
Mar 4, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Thank for you help much appreciated.
Mar 5, 2013 at 3:19 PM
Edited Mar 5, 2013 at 3:48 PM
How do I remove the field names? I created the Comic content type and I put some fields on the content type. I added a comic and had it display on the home page. But all the field names show, how do I remove those?

Edit: I tried playing with the Shape Tracing and it doesn't seem to work so I need to figure out what happened.
Mar 5, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Use the placement.info file, matching the homepage url and then remove the fields see Orchard documentation on placment for details and samples.
And don't forget Spirou.
Mar 5, 2013 at 7:01 PM
I've been reading the documentation this afternoon. I don't really and to remove the fields. Here's an Example of what I'm talking about.
Here is my field.

Long Description: A new start to things, hopefully things will turn out better.

What I want.

A new start to things, hopefully things will turn out better.
Mar 5, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Edited Mar 5, 2013 at 7:25 PM
I figured it out! YES! So excited right now lol. I was wondering is it possible to change the position of these elements on the Content type? ie...

(Comic Image)
(Content Title)
(Short Description)
(Long Description)

Or can I add a view for Content types and style them how I want?
Developer
Mar 7, 2013 at 1:09 AM
You can change the order using Placement.info (see the docs).
And yes, you could also create a view for the content type itself and create the markup in anyway you want. The docs explain how to name these alternates.
Also, be sure to try out the Shape Tracer feature, it will help tremendously identifying shapes and creating views.