Solution for workshop registration website

Topics: Administration
Feb 23, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Edited Feb 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM
I want to make a custom form where users can registrer for workshops on the website for a conference. I use an enumeration field for the workshop choices.

I have 2 questions:

1) I it possible to have a query as the source for the enumeration field? I have a 'workshop' content type and would like the dropdown to display the title of all currently published workshops (or even better; only the ones that still have free places, see my second question).
(this is the first test of this form and the website)

2) If I add a numeric field to the workshop representing the maximum amount of participants for that particular workshop, can I display a message to the user if the workshop they selected is full? I looked at the scripting rules module for this but I don't know if it's possible to count the total number of submissions for this workshop and compare that with the numeric field value.

It would be nice if I could do these things without writing a custom module. Do you have ideas about this?

Thanks!
Developer
Feb 23, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Hi David,

1) That's not possible with the EnumerationField. What you could do instead is create a Taxonomy called "Workshop". Then you can attach a TaxonomyField to your Custom Form content type. The "Workshop" taxonomy will create a Workshop Term content type, which should represent your Workshop instead of your own "Workshop" content type. Since it's a content type, you can extend it with parts and fields as needed.
If there were a ProjectionField, you could create a Query that lists all Workshop content items, but I don't think there's such a field out of the box, and I'm not sure how the selected workshops would be stored as part of the submission.

2) I don't know, never tried the scripting rules module before.