Log Files with Orchard as an Azure Web Role

Topics: Installing Orchard
Feb 19, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Hi Folks,

my question relates specifically to deploying Orchard using the Orchard.Azure solution to a web role (multiple instances) via VS. This does not relate to deploying to a website using web matrix (there are plenty of discussions on that).

Where (exactly) and how do I access the log files for a site when deployed to Azure. There appears to be a void on the documentation here. I've various hints that it is "in table storage". Where would I expect to find the data, what format is it in, and how would I read it. It seems a simple question...but I can't see any log files (I've now deployed to azure with "DEBUG" on, so there should be loads).

many thanks
Feb 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM
A further addendum - after attempting to run the orchard command line tool from one of the instances, it appears that the AzureAppender is not loading. Looking at the error I think this might be a development connection string still in the value for "Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Plugins.Diagnostics.ConnectionString", not that it was metntioned in the docs. If I'm right, I'll update the documentation
Feb 19, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Ok, the appender error is gone - I still have no idea where the log file goes, or how to read it....help!
Feb 19, 2013 at 12:59 PM
I have asked the same question on these forums before. Look in my post history, or search by keywords, and you should be able to find the solution. There are two ways to get to the logs in table storage. One of them is via Visual Studio (Server Explorer, I think), and the other is to use a 3rd party program.

I volunteered to beef up the Azure documentation but never finished. I'm a little less busy now and hope to get back to doing that soon.
Feb 19, 2013 at 4:07 PM
thanks for the reply - I'm pretty certain I've seen the posts you refer to, but they didn't leave me any the wiser to be honest. I only see IIS log files in the WADDirectories table - and this is the only table store I see in dev or in azure. That's why I'm looking for someone who can actually give me more specific instructions, so I can confirm whether logging is even taking place.