Query Sort Criteria on User Profile

Topics: Troubleshooting
Feb 13, 2013 at 1:27 AM
No matter what I do, my Query is not sorting by a field I have put into a Profile attached to the User type. I am using a custom rendering via a URL alternate, but I assume the sorting would be done on the query level, not in the core View.

How can I get a projection of Users to sort by a Profile field?
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2013 at 1:30 AM
What type of field is it? You can try to enable MiniProfiler to see what SQL query was effectively sent to the database.
Feb 13, 2013 at 1:40 AM
Aha...it was an input field. If I change it to Text, it works correctly.
Feb 13, 2013 at 1:48 AM
I appreciate your response. I was definitely surprised to have a response within three minutes, to say nothing of it being Bertrand Himself.

When you asked what type of field it was it made me try another, and sorting based on a Text field works. What is the technical difference between Text and Input fields? By default, they are both rendering as one-line " input type='text' " fields.
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2013 at 3:00 AM
Please file a bug about the input field not working as a sort parameter.

The difference between text fields and input fields is, if you ask me, insignificant and confusing. I was against the introduction of the input field, but they never listen ;) I'll file a bug so we get rid of it, as it's been confusing enough people.
Developer
Feb 14, 2013 at 3:34 PM
But I like the Input field with all their fancy HTML5 properties. Please don't kill it :)
Perhaps Input field should subsume Textfield? Or Textfield should be enriched with the features of Input field, then we can get rid of Input field.
I agree that having two Input/Text field types is confusing.
Coordinator
Feb 14, 2013 at 7:14 PM
Sipke: read the bug... My suggestion is to merge them, so that we have only one with the qualities of both. We're on exactly the same page.
Feb 14, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Edited Feb 14, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Coordinator
Feb 14, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Looks like it.