Featured Item Slider module - No setup documentation on the web ?

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General
Jan 28, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Orchard Gallery is publishing a slider module here: http://gallery.orchardproject.net/List/Modules/Orchard.Module.FeaturedItemSlider .

I have installed this module in my Orchard 1.6 website but could not find anywhere on the web any documentation showing how to configure it to display on a page.

I am using contoso theme and try to replace the default slider by this one.

Jan 29, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Hi AnassL

I haven't used the new version yet, but I will need to shortly so I will give a description then hopefully (within the next couple of days with any luck).

Matt

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Edited Jan 30, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Hi Matt

Thanks a lot for your reply, and I am looking forward your good news.

Also I would ask if it is possible to use a jQuery and HTML slider type like wootheme Flex Slider 2   http://flexslider.woothemes.com/ within an Orchard Page.

Thank you again.

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Edited Feb 1, 2013 at 10:32 AM
This wont be as full as I would like but I managed to get a basic version up and running.

Targets:
We are making a nice widget. This widget has a carousel that scrolls along and has a nice image and titles that link to that content.

What you will need:
  1. some nice images to represent the content ('featured item') that appear in the carousel
Steps:
  1. Install the module from the gallery.
  2. Enable the feature.
    _Now we need to create a featured group. This will store a collection of 'featured items' for display in a widget _
  3. From the admin menu select 'New Feature Group'.
    _ What I've selected is a nice long width and a fair height. http://brandrepublicinsight.com/ - is an old example im copying.
    Checked include images in the slider
    Set the mode as background
    Transition Effect - uncover
    Set slide speed of 1200
    set Slide pause to 5000
    Check show pager_
  4. Save the item
    _ Now we can start adding in the images
  5. From the Featured Items menu click on New Feature.
    Add in a nice image that fits the size of the group entered earlier It .
    The group should already be correct, otherwise select it from the drop down.
    I would really like the content picker to be here now. Oh well, maybe I'll add it in later.
  6. Save and it will be ready for the group.
    Add a couple more so there is something good in the slider at least.
  7. Time to add a widget - To the widgets section in the main menu.
    Lets add it to featured section (or before content if there isnt one yet)
  8. Add a new widget - type: Featured Item Slider Widget
    Pretty much all done. Add in a title, make sure the correct item group is selected.
    Add it to the homepage layer if you only want it on the homepage.
What I plan to do:
  1. add some extensions (a part) that is placed on the content item itself, so one can just tick or untick that it is a featured item or not and where its image is.
Ive made this into a orchard module as well:
http://nivo.dev7studios.com/
But its not quite ready to release. I have some non open source stuff to remove first. But its pretty much select a folder to use images from and go. Not quite as useful as the featured item slider but much easier to use.

Hope that helps.
Matt
Feb 1, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Edited Feb 12, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Thank you Matt for the wonderful explanation, I've tried it also from my side and it worked well.
Aug 17, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Hi Guys,
I am using Orchard 1.7 now and when I create a New feature I do not see any option to add an Image to that feature, just headline, sub-headline, link etc. Can anyone help me with this?

Thank You
Dinesh Jain
Sep 9, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Edited Sep 9, 2013 at 11:30 AM
I also facing the same problem like Dinesh, Dinesh have u solved this problem?

I am using Orchard 1.7 now and when I create a New feature I do not see any option to add an Image to that feature, just headline, sub-headline, link etc.

In this Link URL, I give the image url but I didn't get anything. What I have to do? Please help me
Coordinator
Sep 10, 2013 at 2:33 AM
Seems like this module is not compatible with 1.7. Did you contact the author?
Oct 16, 2013 at 7:11 PM
@Matt, I am looking at integrating a nivo slider also. Can you share your code please?