Implementing a login that authenticates and redirects to another site

Topics: Core, Customizing Orchard, General, Writing modules
Jan 25, 2013 at 2:00 AM
Edited Jan 25, 2013 at 2:00 AM

I am looking to use the Orchard CMS as a front end to an underlying/existing web application. This application currently accepts user id and password on home page and authenticates to allow access to protected areas of the site. I would like to collect the user id and password on an Orchard-based page, but submit the credentials to the underlying app for authentication. If accepted, the user will be taken to the secure site, otherwise I want to display an error message and allow the user to retry or just stay in the unprotected area of the site. I am new to Orchard so I am looking to be pointed in the right direction. My goal is to ensure seamless integration with a site that is outside of Orchard, maintain a secure session with the protected site, while making it transparent to the end user that they are accessing two different sites, ie, the Orchar CMS side and the password-protected secure site. Thanks in advance for the help.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM

You need to create your own MembershipService, from that you can do what you want. Don't forget to use OrchardSuppressDependency to suppress the default service

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Thanks for the reply. As a followup, has anyone out there "embedded" orchard into their web application? As mentioned in my previous post, I am working with an existing application that I want to front-end with orchard, so we can used the flexibility of adding supporting content (such as blogs) without the need to involve development resources. So, as the other app is already completed, the option of extending orchard to handle the functionality of our web app is not a practical option. But if we can install orchard inside of, or "alongside" our web app, we can have them talk to each other. I want to make sure we can do this in a secure fashion and am hoping to get some direction on this approach, if anyone is already doing it. Thanks again.