Admin theme in Orchard 1.7

Topics: Announcements, General
Jan 23, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Hi,

I was wondering if there are any plans for improving default admin theme in the upcoming Orchard version?

I was doing for some time an interesting module for my client which involved a lot of changes in admin theme and adding many pretty good things for back-end theme like Bootstrap, etc.

As a result I've created a new bootstrap admin theme as a extension for current admin theme, which couldn't be uploaded in Orchard Gallery (because you apparently can't upload themes extending admin theme) and the effect was quite good. You can check it out here: https://github.com/yhnavein/orchard-bootstrap-admin-theme

Unfortunately there was a few things which couldn't be fixed/improved by just new theme, so I've created orchard fork to fix design issues I've found and improve admin theme in few ways. Partially for experimenting and partially for improving things for client. Generally it's just a start, but as far as I can see there are no signs that UX and just usability of the back-end is being considered to improve.

I am doing Orchard development in my work and I know that developing anything pretty good for back-end side without good usability base is a rather hard thing. So, if you want you can use this theme made by me or just check out my fork with many improvements. I can also help in some other way.

And yes, I'm new here :)

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Hello,

I really like the look of what you've done here. I tried it out but sadly all I could see were some changed styles here and there. The user list didn't have a search box or sortable columns, and the content list layout was quite messed up.

Was the screenshot just an example of what you COULD do after installing this theme?

Cheers
Feb 1, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Yes, screen mostly presents what is possible to do after enabling it.
Out of the box there are no significal improvements anywhere in Orchard. So it is rather a theme for the admin development.
My second thought was - hey, how would look Orchard Admin theme well integrated into framework? - and it wasn't so hard and there were really nice improvements in usability. But this can't be achieved by theme alone. Unfortunately.
Developer
Feb 4, 2013 at 4:37 PM
Edited Feb 4, 2013 at 4:38 PM
@Floubadour Yes, there has been a long discussion on improving the admin theme UX. Bootstrap seems like a good way to go, because of all the features it provides. The only thing is we'd rather keep the 'Orchardy' gray/green/white color swatch, so the look and feel would be similar to what we have now.

Would be great if you could join the weekly Committee meetings (Tuesdays, noon PST/9 PM CEST) so we could move the admin theming discussion forward.

Btw - was positively surprised seeing Polish texts on the screenshot - nice;)
Coordinator
Feb 10, 2013 at 7:20 AM
I'm not convinced but we sure can discuss it at the next meeting.