Permissions Questions

Topics: Administration, Customizing Orchard
Jan 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM

We are working on an Intranet site and seem to be coming up against some inflexibility with permissions. I wanted to clarify in case I'm missing something:

Per menu management

Is it possible to allow a role permission to manage a specific menu? E.g. if HR have their own section on the site with their own side menu. I want users with an HR role to be able to manage that menu but not the main menu.

Post to specific Blog by role

Supposing a blog shared between several users, all of whom have a common role. Is it possible to assign that role permission to post/manage a specified blog. Currently I seem to be able to say a user can either manage their own blog or all blogs but not just a specific blog (not owned by them)?

Are either of these scenarios possible?

Developer
Jan 19, 2013 at 11:13 PM

If you implement your own INavigationProvider you have complete control over what menu item gets rendered for the current user based on active permissions.

Out of the box I don't think it's possible to assign a role to a specific blog. But what you could do is write a content part that implements this requirement and attach it to the Blog content type.

Ultimately both scenarios are possible, but it requires custom coding.

Jan 21, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Thanks will have a look at the content part for per role blogging.

I don't think I explained the menu management very clearly, it's not the displaying of menu items but rather the administration of a menu. Currently Orchard is all or nothing, you can either manage all of the menus or none. I want users to be be able to only have the ability to administrate a particular menu > so for example, the HR cms user can manage the HR menu but can't touch the main menu.

Coordinator
Feb 10, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Edited Feb 10, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Yes, you'd need to implement your own solution for that. Content item permissions might help, but I've never tried it for menus.