Navigation - multi level menus

Topics: General
Jan 14, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Bit confused here - I have a basic install of Orchard and a simple experimental website that I'm using to train myself.

The site has a simple menu and although that allows me to add new menu items that point to new pages, I want to add menu items that simply contain sub-menu items that point to pages.

e.g. I want 'Products' to NOT take the user to a page but to show a smaller menu with Product-1, Product-2 etc - with these entries being the one's that point to per-product pages.

Is this supported?

Thanks

Developer
Jan 14, 2013 at 6:09 PM

It is. You could add a Custom link with its url set to '#' and add sub menu items to it (remember, when adding sub menu items, you need to drag them underneath their parent). The sub menu items would be Content Menu Items so that you can point them to the corresponding Product content item.

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Edited Jan 15, 2013 at 3:14 PM
sfmskywalker wrote:

It is. You could add a Custom link with its url set to '#' and add sub menu items to it (remember, when adding sub menu items, you need to drag them underneath their parent). The sub menu items would be Content Menu Items so that you can point them to the corresponding Product content item.

OK I tried this but it seems to render oddly - unfortunately I can't post an image here to show you.

It seems to work but I see new space allocated under the main menu (like a second empty menu area, same size/shape as main one) and a vertical line in that that is positioned at the end of the new sub menu item - these lines are visible and ugly and appear even when I do not select any menu or sub menu item.

The theme I'm using is Contoso and basically it renders ugly - must I use some special/advanced menu component or something to do this better?

Thx

Developer
Jan 15, 2013 at 4:38 PM

You should not have to use another special/advanced menu component, however it depends on the theme how the rendered menu behaves. Did you test the menu with TheThemeMachine? This will help in pinpointing the source of the issue.