Orchard CMS failed install on winserver 2008 r2 with SQL Server 2008 R2 connection string problem

Topics: Administration, General, Installing Orchard
Jan 14, 2013 at 5:28 AM

Hello:  

New but excited about the possibilities of Orchard CMS.  For our configuration a dedicated winserver 2008 r2 IIS 7.5 with SQL Server 2008 R2 after many hours are not able to get around login failures for the "database connection string".

After lots of searching, more hours than I want to admit to here spent on this, bugging the dedicated support staff (who are in my opinion the BEST in the business, bar none) not able to get to a start up screen for Orchard.

My brain is like scrambled eggs now because I know replies to this will ask "can you give us the error".  This was always a failed login.  But I can login into management studio under windows authentication.

So has to be someone out there that may have faced this problem.  If you have that is great post that soluiton or any idea of how to get around this.  If you are a tech and want to make a few dollars by squaring this away for me, pm me (this is my first post so I don't know if pm available in this discussion) or give me your contact info.

During this process I tried to install several times.  Noticed in IIS in app pool 4 instances of orchard cms running.  

So if you can help in anyway would be appreciated.

Coordinator
Jan 14, 2013 at 11:45 PM

If the error is a failed login, it simply means that the user under which the IIS application pool runs, or the user specified in the connection string, does not have access rights on the database. That's it. The best support staff in the business must surely have told you that already ;)

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:35 AM
bertrandleroy wrote:

If the error is a failed login, it simply means that the user under which the IIS application pool runs, or the user specified in the connection string, does not have access rights on the database. That's it. The best support staff in the business must surely have told you that already ;)

Why the last sentence? Nice quip, a bit nasty and terse and not very constructive, so what is your problem?.  You can't always get to a crack tech every time, especially on the weekends.  Does that make you feel happy or smart? Wasn't even necessary.  Oh but wait, YOU KNOW EVERYTHING DON'T YOU!  Because you are a "coordinator".  Coordinator of pissing people off?  Well you did it here.  Hope you are happy.

Developer
Jan 15, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Actually Bertrand always makes me smile :)
Anyway, did you have a look at the user under which the IIS application pool runs?

In Settings,txt, does the connection string include user ID and password, or is it set to Integrated Security or anything like that?

Coordinator
Jan 15, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Err, what? I'll ignore the personal attacks for the moment and reiterate the *constructive* answer I already gave: check the user under which the app pool runs, or the user specified in the connection string. That is more relevant than your ability to access it from SQL Manager under your Windows account.

Sorry for making a joke (and clearly marking it as such). Relax, Michael.

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:59 PM

You guys made my day :)