Error installing modules and themes

Topics: Troubleshooting
Jan 12, 2013 at 4:25 AM

Orchard newbie here. I was playing around with installing and previewing themes from the galley when I suddenly started getting an error message when installing themes:

Package installation failed: There was an error installing the requested package. This can happen if the server does not have write access to the '~/Modules' or '~/Themes' folder of the web site. If the site is running in shared hosted environement, adding write access to these folders sometimes needs to be done manually through the Hoster control panel. Once Themes and Modules have been installed, it is recommended to remove write access to these folders.

I also get an error installing modules. I set my Modules and Themes folders to full permission for all users but I still get the error. I googled and saw that many people had this issue and fixed it by changing the galley URL, but mine is already correct.

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:36 AM
Edited Jan 12, 2013 at 6:37 AM
datadamnation wrote:

Orchard newbie here. I was playing around with installing and previewing themes from the galley when I suddenly started getting an error message when installing themes:

Package installation failed: There was an error installing the requested package. This can happen if the server does not have write access to the '~/Modules' or '~/Themes' folder of the web site. If the site is running in shared hosted environement, adding write access to these folders sometimes needs to be done manually through the Hoster control panel. Once Themes and Modules have been installed, it is recommended to remove write access to these folders.

I also get an error installing modules. I set my Modules and Themes folders to full permission for all users but I still get the error. I googled and saw that many people had this issue and fixed it by changing the galley URL, but mine is already correct.

Dear,

You need to give read and write permissions to all these folders Media, Themes, Modules.

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I granted full control to all accounts and to all folders and files in the project but I'm still getting the error.

Coordinator
Jan 15, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Workaround is to extract the package manually by renaming to have the zip extension, and copying the module's folder that's in there to the Modules folder.