Multi-datacenter Orchard deployment.

Topics: Administration, Installing Orchard
Jan 8, 2013 at 5:20 AM

Hi,

We have been investigating Orchard for a couple of weeks now and we absolutely love it, it is excellent. We are almost ready to adopt it but we only have one last open issue.

How can Orchard deal with a multi-datacenter deployment? We have a couple ideas on how to do it but I thought that I would reach out to the community and see if someone has used it in this context before.

Basically, what we want is to be able to deploy Orchard in multiple say, Azure Web Hosts throughout the world and gain performance from Geo-distribution and availability by having one host take over the traffic from another one in case the later fails. While the multiple web hosts solve one part of the problem, we still have the issue of one single database, or we can have each instance pointing to its own database but then we get into the problem of keeping these databases in sync.

Has anyone out there used Orchard like this? How did you solve the problem of the single point of failure in the database?

Thank you very much,

Livar.

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:29 AM

I really think Softlayer may be the answer.   We are not international but planning something where we want to deploy across the u.s. and from what I read you are looking for stability with a mirror running.  I am in contact with a rep and would give you her number because she blew my mind, but my mail exchange is down right now.  I am on winserver 2008 r2 IIS 7.5 and dedicated linux for database and we want the similar setup you do.  I have been doing this Internet thing a long time and when you are trying to implement something unique problems arise.  They respond quickly to their support tickets, you can call them 24/7, or chat.  go to http://wwww.softlayer.com and do a chat with a sales person.  Please let us all know how it goes because not all reps are as good as others but this gal from Texas I am in contact with is a whip.  Hope this helps and hope you get your gig going sounds like a challenge.

michaeljmann