Looking for feedback on bootstrap

Topics: Writing themes
Jan 4, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Edited Jan 4, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Hello,

I only discovered bootstrap recently and was impressed by this work.

I looked for Orchard adaptations and it seems that the version of psenechal, Orchard Bootstrap, gest the majority of downloads.

As I am new to Orchard I would appreciate feed-back on this version and more generally to the usage of bootstrap code in Orchard. Pros & Cons. Best practices.

I also found the wrapbootstrap themes, what about them ?

Thanks you for indications

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Hello,

The Orchard Bootstrap theme is a fairly straightforward theme, although I added some things to speed up development with Bootstrap. It has the option of using the pre-compiled .CSS files, or you an use .LESS if you install the DotLess module. This allows you to very quickly change aspects of the theme for the entire site. I added in some additional jQuery scripts that work well with Bootstrap as well as overrode quite a few of the default Orchard view files to work better with Bootstrap.

What I didn't do is apply any custom styling to Bootstrap itself, so out of the box, you'll be working with the default Bootstrap colors and styling. These can easily be overridden by dropping in and referencing a .CSS or .LESS file from Bootswatch: http://bootswatch.com/. That is probably the quickest way to style the Bootstrap theme.

I'm in the process of using 2 templates from WrapBootstrap so far, but neither one is something that could easily be plugged into the Orchard Bootstrap theme. It was far easier to just create new themes based on the downloaded templates. You can see them in action as they're being developed here:

http://raptorconcepts.com
http://nvrflysolo.raptorconcepts.com

Neither project is very far along at the moment, however, I used a complete custom Bootstrap solution for an intranet site along with a custom web application built into Orchard as a module. Using Bootstrap definitely helped to speed up development.

To wrap this all up, the Orchard team has made it unbelievably easy to create new themes and to override the majority of the default shapes/views and apply the Bootstrap framework. I much prefer to use Bootstrap over other frameworks, but that is just my personal opinion.

If there are any questions you have about the Orchard Bootstrap theme, just let me know and I'll see if I can help.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:34 AM

@psenechal thanks.
I see wrapbootstrap, they have very nice themes, So I will try your way, adapting a wrapboostrap theme to style your Orchard Bootstrap. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Edited Jan 16, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I want to customize the navigation, especially main menu to allow for 'data-section' attributes in order to have bootstrap managing them through jQuery, have you an idea how to do this?
The traditionnal Menu from Orchard doesn't allow custom data attributes for li.
I also had a look in your work, you created views for traditionnal MenuItems, but nothing with the data-section attribute which needs a special edit and a new storage for the section value ?
Seems a large change may be out of my actual knowledge of Orchard ? I will try a dedicated thread on customizing Main Menu. 

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Edited Jan 17, 2013 at 8:38 PM

@psenechal I see that you have included the carrousel from Steve Taylor in your theme. 
I think it is better to have it in a separate projection layout, just as the Contrib.ProjectionLayouts, providing a more modular system.
Leaving the OrchardBootstrap theme free of this static carousel implementation attached to projections. 
I will give it a try and bring a feed back.

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:18 PM
csadnt wrote:

I want to customize the navigation, especially main menu to allow for 'data-section' attributes in order to have bootstrap managing them through jQuery, have you an idea how to do this?
The traditionnal Menu from Orchard doesn't allow custom data attributes for li.
I also had a look in your work, you created views for traditionnal MenuItems, but nothing with the data-section attribute which needs a special edit and a new storage for the section value ?
Seems a large change may be out of my actual knowledge of Orchard ? I will try a dedicated thread on customizing Main Menu. 

I simply overwrote the shape template to work with Bootstrap. The modification you're talking about would probably be an entirely new Navigation module.