Performance in Azure

Topics: Core, Customizing Orchard, Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Dec 27, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Hello,

I have downloaded the Orchard Source Code. I did this to implement some customizations. When I deploy the app to Windows Azure by using the Publish option, the app publishes successfully. The first time the site loads, its slow (> 10s). However, on subsequent loads, the site is fast (< 5s). After 20 mins or so, the site goes back to taking > 10s to load. Its almost like the app pool is getting recycled.

I've added/enabled the following modules:

• Cache
  • SysCache
  • KeepAlive

I've also added a machinekey configuration setting in the web.config. This was based on feedback I saw in another post.

Can someone please explain to me why its taking so long to load initially and after a period of unused time? More importantly, can someone tell me how to fix this? I have removed my customizations, so I know that its not those.

For some feedback, I have published my Orchard project as an Azure Web Site. Initially, I tried it using the "FREE" Web Site Mode. I then changed it to "SHARED" thinking that may make a difference. However, it did not. I really need to get this issue identified and remedied. I would really like to use Orchard within my company. But, this is a show stopper for us.

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I think the problem is that the app pool is getting recycled. To prevent that you would have to switch to reserved mode. Enabling the warmup module will serve cached pages when the app pool is starting.

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Hi @JLedel.

Thank you for your reply. I had the Warmup module turned on, but it still took a long time. As you recommended, I switched to the reserved mode and everything worked well.  However, I'm really just creating a basic site.  This site may get 1500 hits a month. I just don't want it to take forever for those 1500 individuals as it reflects poorly. To pay $57.60 a month for this kind of site seems pretty steep when I could use GoDaddy and leverage WordPress without this kind of slow response.

There has to be a way to do this more effectively. I have to be overlooking something else. Its a VERY basic Orchard site.

If you or anyone else has any ideas, I would sincerely appreciate it.

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Have you read this http://orchard.codeplex.com/discussions/274921 especially the end for Azure Web Sites with renaming of config/Sample.HostComponent.config to config/HostComponent.config (Removing the Sample. portion)

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Edited Jan 1, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I have the same performance problem with Azure Web Sites, even in Reserved mode with a 2 cores engine.

Having deployed from VS2012 a site with a dozen of additionnal traditionnal modules, this site running ok on a dedicated Azure VM with the same configuration.

The site is using SQL Azure.

The site is using Localization and I installed 8 languages.

On Azure Web Site I have even adapted the config/HostComponent.config, with no apparent change:  I am unable to switch to Admin Console, receiving a 502 error without any data in the DB after minutes of waiting.
The log file contains nothing, on the beginning I was thinking that deleting cache.dat and the various dependencies could recreate a valid environment but no success: everything is recreated but I still get the 502.

I just noted from time to time some connection problem with SQL Azure, may be the demo version? I have a Web Version with 1G and  98% free space... 

It is clear that Orchard is not for Azure Website in demo mode, even using Reserved mode with large memory.

....I will open an issue for this.