One way to cause "Resource not found", expectations for Web deploy

Topics: Installing Orchard
Dec 24, 2012 at 2:47 PM
Edited Dec 24, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I recently began experimenting with Orchard and decided to use it for a website.

I'll develop modules using VS 2012 and Orchard source code but figured that I would manage the production files using WebMatrix. BTW, it's the first time I've used WebMatrix.

Locally, I ran and configured the website. Then I used WebMatrix to publish the files to the server.

After the publish, I hit the website and received a "Resource not found" error. I figured out that webdeploy pushed all of the files including those in App_Data. The files in App_Data referenced my local website configuration.

As soon as I deleted those files in App_Data, plus the file in RecipeJournal, the website responded properly and I was able to set up the production website.

In my day job, we handle this by maintaining production-only versions of our configuration files and our build/deploy process puts the correct files in place on the production web server.

What should my approach be when using Orchard and WebMatrix? Do I need to treat the local version of the website as a production-only set of files (i.e., do not run them locally)? Is there a way to tell WebMatrix *not* to update certain files on the web server?

Dec 28, 2012 at 7:21 AM

You can build a deployment package from the full source code, or you can continue to deploy from WebMatrix, just don't copy app_data.

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Thank you very much.