Should Orchard 1.7 run only on .NET 4.5?

Topics: Announcements
Coordinator
Dec 18, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Please let us know of the pros and cons you see for Orchard 1.7 to only be compatible with .NET 4.5.

Dec 19, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Hi,

Web Hosting in my country is  not ready to support .Net 4.5

Please don't!

Leotran.

Dec 20, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Lets see whats new - http://www.asp.net/vnext/overview/aspnet/whats-new#_Toc_perf_6

Pros:

• Hosting
  •  
    • We've upgraded our main web server that would host our orchard sites (45+ sites, 10~ orchard of varying versions and experiments). So no problems there (after some prodding of application pools - see cons).
    • Personally I have sites hosted on azure and Arvixe, so again this would pose little difficulty in upgrading.
    • Other hosts should have upgraded / be upgrading if they wish to stay competitive so shouldnt pose problems long term
  • Not updating would likely only cause more problems for upgrading into the next version of .Net if that is deemed beneficial.
  • Some of the async features would be nice, especially in webapi - though could this could pose problems with the transactions?  

Cons:

• We recently upgraded our main web server to 4.5 last month, which required fixing some application pools so some of the older orchard sites could work v<1.5), and a couple of other projects. So extra maintenance may cause headaches if you have your own web servers. Though when a solution was found it was quite quick to update the application polls of the sites in question. (setting "Enable 32-Bit Applications" to false in Application Pools -> advanced settings)
  • Windows server 2003 wouldn't be supported to my knowledge.

Questions:

• What immediate improvements are likely to be obtained by the upgrade to 4.5? I've only experienced improvements in web forms, entity framework and async so far.

Overall:

• any movement to take advantage of, or inclusion of newer technologies tends to be in the best interests of the many and may even help influence peoples choice when choosing a new code base / website / server.

Leotran - a lot of hosts have at least a upgrade plan / timetable. What host are you using, and do they know when "ready" might be?

Matt

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I live in Belgium and host in the US with Arvixe, so I don't really see country-specific as an issue.
I am hosting on a VPS server which I upgraded to .NET 4.5 and the performance is really great.

So I'm voting +1 for this one...

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Doesn't matter for us at the moment, but maybe it would be a bit too soon?

If it would result in a better performing website I'd vote +10 ;)

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:08 PM
AimOrchard wrote:

Doesn't matter for us at the moment, but maybe it would be a bit too soon?

If it would result in a better performing website I'd vote +10 ;)

+1

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:24 PM

If your hosting provider doesn't support 4.5 you should put some pressure on them :)

I'd say that if there are some new features that want to ship with 1.7 which requires 4.5 then 4.5 it is. Sooner or later 4.5 will probably be required anyway, and then people will have to get hosting for that. So if it's too soon for some people now, maybe they can skip 1.7 and wait for their hosting provider, then upgrade to whatever Orchard version is available then.

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Well I changed my opinion : We already switched to .NET 4.5 manually now (we read up on the possible advantages it could give) so core support for it is now preferred ;)

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Or the hosting provider updates to 4.5 without telling you. I had a fun time moving a site from 1.3 to 1.6 a couple of nights ago rather unexpectedly (<- The destabilize runtime bug forced my hand). If only I had finished the version in azure in time to move it over there. 

On a positive note. That is all of my hosting sites now on 4.5. A handful of my modules are running .Net 4.5 as well. I had to update my local copy of Orchard.Contrib.ShapeMessaging to 4.5 as the mocked HttpContext, HttprRquest and Httpresponse didnt conform anymore (to the new version of mvc and asp.net with 4.5). Thats so far been the only problem i've seen in going up so far.

So the major problems will be those migrating quickly, and some modules that have become a little too old for the framework and .net version?

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:05 AM
I think it should be nice to target 4.5 and the new features. You can't stay on 4.0 forever . . . You have to switch someday.
Feb 15, 2013 at 6:28 PM
I think swiching to .Net 4.5 is too early. Many provider are still on .net 4.0 and want update in the next few moths, atleast this is my experince.

This would prevent lots of interessted people to give Orchard a try.
Mar 14, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Azure now supports 4.5 I'd love to see it Azure 4.5.
Developer
Apr 1, 2013 at 1:40 PM
I think it should. And its not too early - .NET Web Sockets (Which SignalR uses) requires .NET 4.5 else it fallsback to Server Side Events which is not desirable.

+1 for upgrading.
Apr 5, 2013 at 4:18 AM
+1 for upgrading.
Apr 5, 2013 at 6:31 AM
Please do! :)
Developer
Apr 5, 2013 at 9:44 PM
It was decided in the last meeting we will upgrade it.
May 6, 2013 at 8:07 PM
It was decided in the last meeting we will upgrade it.
Does a schedule for the change to ASP.NET 4.5 already exist? I'm eagerly waiting to see the 1.x branch to be updated...
May 20, 2013 at 6:55 PM
IntranetFactory wrote:
Does a schedule for the change to ASP.NET 4.5 already exist? I'm eagerly waiting to see the 1.x branch to be updated...
And it's also a nice opportunity to clean the web.config files of all IIS 6 mentions (IIS 6 doesn't support .NET 4.5)
<system.web>
    <httpHandlers>
      <!-- iis6 - for any request in this location, return via managed static file handler -->
      <add path="*" verb="*" type="System.Web.StaticFileHandler" />
    </httpHandlers>
  </system.web>
Coordinator
May 26, 2013 at 7:38 AM
Good point about IIS 6. Please file a bug.
Jun 1, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Edited Jun 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM
I would be interested in migrating ASAP to 4.5 in order to use HttpClient.
Hope it will be for 1.7.1 if not 1.7

I did a test simply changing the <TargetFrameworkVersion> to 4.5 in the orchard projects, clean and rebuilt, everything runs ok ? Am I missing something ?
May be the changes should be applyed in all references, but as is new code will be 4.5 ?
Discovered that nhibernate is built as a framework 2.0 assembly ????
Coordinator
Jun 3, 2013 at 7:16 AM
Edited Jun 3, 2013 at 7:17 AM
You may already compile a module against 4.5 and use 4.5 features. I've done it in Nwazet.Commerce, and it works. It will make your module incompatible with 4.0, of course.

What we are doing in 1.7 is dropping support for 4.0. Today, 1.6 runs in both.

What's your question about nHibernate?