Failure sending message - Unable to connect to the remote server

Topics: Core, Customizing Orchard, General, Troubleshooting, Writing modules
Dec 13, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Hi,

I'm using the contact us module, which sends the contact form to the admin email address,

but every time I fill in the form, I see the following exception in the orchard error log:

,949 [24] Orchard.Email.Services.EmailMessagingChannel - An unexpected error while sending a message to julia_v2@hotmail.com: ContactUs System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: Failure sending mail. ---> System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 173.194.67.108:465 at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress) at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Net.ServicePoint.GetConnection(PooledStream PooledStream, Object owner, Boolean async, IPAddress& address, Socket& abortSocket, Socket& abortSocket6, Int32 timeout) at System.Net.PooledStream.Activate(Object owningObject, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, GeneralAsyncDelegate asyncCallback) at System.Net.PooledStream.Activate(Object owningObject, GeneralAsyncDelegate asyncCallback) at System.Net.ConnectionPool.GetConnection(Object owningObject, GeneralAsyncDelegate asyncCallback, Int32 creationTimeout) at System.Net.Mail.SmtpConnection.GetConnection(ServicePoint servicePoint) at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.GetConnection(ServicePoint servicePoint) at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.GetConnection() at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message) at Orchard.Email.Services.EmailMessagingChannel.SendMessage(MessageContext context)

I've tried to set my host name to smtp.gmail.com port 465 for gmail and also tried with my

hotmail account, but I always get the smae error.

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Which Contact us module are u using?

Which Version of Orchard CMS are u using?

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Edited Dec 13, 2012 at 10:21 AM

The latest version of orchard 1.6

The latest version of the 'cONTACT US' module: http://orchardcontactus.codeplex.com/

Though it seems like the problem is not with the module itself but somethign to do with the smtp settings perhaps?

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:28 AM
julia_v wrote:

The latest version of orchard 1.6

The latest version of the 'cONTACT US' module: http://orchardcontactus.codeplex.com/

Though it seems like the problem is not with the module itself but somethign to do with the smtp settings perhaps?

That doesn't seems to be the latest version of Contact US Module its release date is 2011.

Why not create a Contact US content type and then create a Custom Form with captcha, rules and email events.

Even I am using Google App smtp servers with Orchard CMS 1.5.1 and I am using port number 25.

Host : smtp.gmail.com

Port : 25

with required credentials - username and password

Give it a try.

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I've created a form with custom forms, and downloaded the captcha module, but now I'm unable to access my settings panel,

There seems to be a problem with this module:

\Modules\Orchard.Captcha\Views\EditorTemplates\Parts.Captcha.SiteSettings.cshtml(2): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Comments' does not exist in the namespace 'Orchard' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Is it working for you in orchard 1.6?

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:29 PM
julia_v wrote:

I've created a form with custom forms, and downloaded the captcha module, but now I'm unable to access my settings panel,

There seems to be a problem with this module:

\Modules\Orchard.Captcha\Views\EditorTemplates\Parts.Captcha.SiteSettings.cshtml(2): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Comments' does not exist in the namespace 'Orchard' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Is it working for you in orchard 1.6?

Dear

Orchard.Captcha wont work in Orchard 1.6. In order to use Recaptcha you will have to use Anti spam module in Orchard 1.6

Check this out http://devdirective.com/post/160/how-to-create-custom-forms-in-orchard-cms-with-email-and-recaptcha

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:50 PM
julia_v wrote:

u almost got it. this is not problem on your module.

it happened when your server did not connect with smtp server, i had this exp. once. i almost forgot it, u remind me that there is bug in Message or Email module, we should let the exception silent (and log it) when connection is broken.

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:07 AM

http://www.herostart.com/productshow/nata-coco