Web farm administration

Topics: Administration, Writing modules
Dec 12, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Hi all,

I'm responsible for Orchard instances across about 10 web servers. I'd love a module that would automatically download and install updated themes/modules, and ping me when in does. I was wondering whether there might be any gotchas ahead. I figure I'll I'll just need a table to keep track of which modules to download, a service to periodically check for updates, and just hook into the built-in module download/install code.

I'm not an expert at building modules so I thought I'd raise it to see what alarm bells it might set off or whatever.

Thanks

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I wouldn't do this in a production environment because there's always a chance that new versions of  modules or themes have bugs. Even if they don't have bugs, they might be intended to work with certain versions of Orchard, so if you base Orchard version is the wrong one the modules could break. 

I'm not even a fan of installing modules through the dashboard. I'd rather build them, test them, and then deploy them along with my entire orchard site. 

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Yeah that's a good point. We already have automated deployment in place so I'll look at including our modules and theme

On Dec 12, 2012 2:47 PM, "TheMonarch" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I wouldn't do this in a production environment because there's always a chance that new versions of modules or themes have bugs. Even if they don't have bugs, they might be intended to work with certain versions of Orchard, so if you base Orchard version is the wrong one the modules could break.

I'm not even a fan of installing modules through the dashboard. I'd rather build them, test them, and then deploy them along with my entire orchard site.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (orchard@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email orchard@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Dec 14, 2012 at 2:02 AM

We recommend not installing modules on a production server, especially in a farm. Install on a dev machine, then deploy.