Precompiled Orchard on Arvixe slow load times and possible re-compiles

Topics: General, Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Nov 26, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Hi Guys,

I have a web site running on Arvixe's shared web hosting, the response times are atrocious, pingdom reports 10s > 15s average for the keep alive route (/keepalive)!

I'm running a precompiled 1.6 with changeset (7171b10f15b6) #19191: Fixing dynamic compilation, MachineKey is set in the web.config, trust level is set to full and the Orchard.Environment.Extensions.ExtensionMonitoringCoordinator is disabled in the HostComponents.config.

Syscache module is on, warmup module is on, cache is on and set for 600, output cache to 900, keep alive module is also enabled.

Full file/folder permissions are set to app_data, media, modules and themes.

There are irregular but frequent delays on page loads (hence, I believe, the high average response time).

Cache does not last for more than 30s at a time, the way I know this is to open an unauthenticated session to the front-end on another browser, and to keep refreshing /Cache/Statistics until the pages in cache clear, they never last for longer than 30s!

My first though was that Arvixe has app pool's recycling quickly, but through talks with support they guaranteed me that the app pool is only recycling every 60m.

With mini profiler on, every few requests there's a 4s to 5s load time reported by the profiler, but it's inconsistent, which to me it indicates a re-compile and/or app recycle.

So I'm at a loss, what could be triggering the reset of the app pool and/or invalidating syscache or cache? Is there a way to trace this on production? As anyone else experienced this slow response times from orchard on arvixe hosting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

P.

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Hello

I also have an Orchard installation on Arvixe PersonalClass Asp. It is version 1.5.1. I have the Cache and Keep Alive Modules installed and configured. When the site is first accessed, it takes around 20 sec, before it loads.

Since this weekend I also have an Arvixe VPSCLass Asp Pro. I also setup the same Orchad installation on this server. The result was the same. Almost 20 sec until it loaded. Then on the VPS account in IIS Manager, I set the Applications Pool Idle Time-out to 0. Now Orchard on the VPS loads in a couple of seconds. The speed when both have been loaded is about the same though, which doesn't feels really fast as the pages never are served instantly.

I sent a message to Arvixe Support asking if the Applications Idle Time-out for the installation on the Arvixe PersonalClass could be eliminated or extended. But I need to wait for the answer...

Thanks,

Obed

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, I've also made the same question now, hopefully we'll have an answer soon, I suspect they have it set to <1m therefore rendering keep alive module useless.

If not set to 0 at least they could increase the idle timeout to >1m, I believe keep alive pings every 1m.

In the meantime my "patch" is to use cloudflare, it's free, and it will serve requests from their servers improving perceived performance to your visitors.

But that's only a patch cause using the admin is a nightmare at the moment! Every so often, boom, 10 to 15s wait! :(

P.

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Hi,

I didn't know about this service, cloudflare, looks interesting. Maybe I'll try this.

I just got an answer from Arvixe Support. To set idle time-out to 0 is not possible, since this is one of the main reasons which allow them to offer such a low price hosting, which is true and I understand. They offered me a work around consisting of a scheduled task which checks for the websites availability every 9 minutes.

Greetings,

Obed

Coordinator
Nov 26, 2012 at 3:19 PM
Edited Nov 26, 2012 at 3:20 PM

I host my sites on Arvixe Business Class (not their entry-level shared hosting offer), and the performance has been consistently amazing. Check for yourself: http://nwazet.com is running 4 tenants on Orchard 1.6. And this is still shared hosting.

This plan is a little more expensive, but worth every penny.

never recommend low-cost or free shared hosting from any company (except maybe Azure Web Sites) because they all suck. They are (and have to be, if the hosting company is going to make any money) optimized for *their* performance, not yours. It means that they optimize for site density, not optimal response times. They don't care if your site takes 20s to load, as long as they can stick hundreds (or even thousands) of sites on one recycled old crappy server, and they will not hesitate to kill your app domain if it goes above their memory quota or is inactive for a few minutes.

Higher-level hosting plans on the other hand, are specifically optimized for your performance, and it makes a world of difference.

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I agree Bertrand, but I'm on the reseller plan!

I guess this is the features and reliability difference on the comparison http://www.arvixe.com/compare.php?fchoice=business&schoice=reseller

Do you know if you can create hosting plans on web site panel in the business class?

That's the reason I opted for the reseller, and that we are not meant to be resell hosting through it, which would affect my business model! :(

Cheers,

P.

Coordinator
Nov 26, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I don't know, I've never worked with that plan. Did you ask their support about your performance problems? Their support has been effective for me in the past.

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Thank you very much Bertrand Le Roy for your comment. Yes your website is very fast.

It feels even faster than the one I setup to test on the VPS: http://greg.com.urenavps.arvixevps.com. Same Site on the Asp Personal: http://www.gregorywarrentenor.com hosting. Maybe I still have not configured it optimally. The only thing running on the VPS is this site.

By the way, thank you very much Bertrand for your code samples (on your blog) about image resizing. I used parts of it for my site: http://www.obedurena.com

Regards, and thank you very much for your work and support on the Orchard CMS.

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:32 PM

@bertrandleroy, yap have been trying to solve it with them over the past week. I have no complaints on that regard. We're just trying to solve it together. I haven't had a reply yet to the idle timeout set to 0 on the reseller plan! Fingers crossed that will be allowed. Will keep you posted.