32 bit only?

Topics: Core
Nov 18, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I'm wondering if Orchard is 32 bit only or if 64 bit is also supported.

From http://docs.orchardproject.net/Documentation/Building-and-deploying-Orchard-from-a-source-code-drop :

"If you are running on a 64 bit system, go into the advanced setting of the application pool for the application and make sure 32 bit applications are enabled (create a new app pool if you have to)."

Enabling 32 bit mode means that all applications in this app pool will run only as 32 bit processes.

A quick test didn't show any problems when not forcing the app pool to 32 bit - so I didn't face any problems running as a 64 bit process.

So I'm wondering:

- Is the documentation just outdated / invalid?

- Is 64 bit officially supported?

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:16 AM
Edited Nov 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Does really nobody know

• if the documentation is just outdated / invalid?
  • if 64 bit is causing any problems?
Nov 20, 2012 at 10:53 AM

You might have a valid reason so I ask : why do you need the 64bit-ness?

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Not that I've run into this problem yet, but aren't 32bit apps limited to 2GB of memory (or 3GB if you use the special flag)? If you are running a large app, doing a lot of caching, having a lot of users, etc, 64bit Orchard instances could make sense. 

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:28 AM

It could, but for most scenarios 32bit should (read: will) do.

So if you have a specific needs for 64bit I'd say : try it out? :)

One issue I could think of is that some modules on the gallery will only work on 32bit because of their dependencies.

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:31 AM

32 bit only is a kind of outdated/legacy - so we're only allowed to use 64 bit applications in new deployments.

I didn't find any problems with 64 bit so far - but I'm wondering if I missed anything in my limited tests.

So is it just a documentation error or does Orchard really fail with 64 bit app pools?

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I do not think that you'll have troubles running under 64bit except, as stated earlier, some 3rd party modules might fail because they use 32bit only dependencies.

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:51 PM
Edited Nov 20, 2012 at 1:52 PM

IIS run on 64bit by default for all appdomains.

On most servers, orchard already runs on 64bit since day 1.

You're only in trouble when you want to specifically run 32bit libraries with ASP.NET.

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Just saw this blog post http://bradkingsley.com/orchard-memory-usage-and-performance/  indicating that 64 bit causes massive problems. 

So I'm again wondering if there is any "official" answer if Orchard supports 64bit  and/or what's causing problems in a 64bit environment?

Dec 25, 2012 at 2:23 PM
intranetfactory wrote:

Just saw this blog post http://bradkingsley.com/orchard-memory-usage-and-performance/  indicating that 64 bit causes massive problems. 

So I'm again wondering if there is any "official" answer if Orchard supports 64bit  and/or what's causing problems in a 64bit environment?

I had a lot of issues running Orchard CMS 1.3.9 and Orchard CMS 1.4.x on my Windows Shared Enterprise edition plan at Hostgator. My account was allotted 25% CPU of Quad core processor x64 and 4GB RAM. I always had App Pool issues while running on a 64 bit version of App Pool. Then After reading this blog post http://bradkingsley.com/orchard-memory-usage-and-performance/  I requested Hostgator to change my App Pool version to 32bit and after that my Orchard CMS 1.4 site was working awesomely. Happiness wasn't there that long :( every weeks admins at Hostgator use to fiddle with the App Pool version and then the same issue continued.

Now I have shifted from Hostgator to Cytanium Hosting and also running on 64bit. I think the issue is with the Memory and CPU allotment to the App Pool. With Windows Shared Enterprise edition at Hostgator I was allowed to use 5 domains and only 1 App Pool was allotted to all of those 5 Domains , May be that was the main issue for App Pool recycling again n again or Overloading the server. At Cytanium each domain has its own isolated App Pool. I have 3 websites at Cytanium from last 2 and half months with no issues.

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I'm still wondering if it's possible to get an "official" statement regarding 64bit support?

Anybody from the steering committee already back from holidays?

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Actually we would like an 'official' statement as well - Anyone available to give on?

Coordinator
Jan 10, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I don't know. Sébastien probably would, but he's still on vacation apparently.

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Sébastien are you back?   Or can anybody else answer this?

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Still not back?

Coordinator
Feb 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM
He's been back for a while, but probably hasn't spotted this thread. Sending it his way.
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2013 at 9:39 PM
There is nothing which leads me to think it's not compatible with 64bits. The usual answer is that 64bits takes more memory than 32bits, but you all seem to go further than that. SO please open a bug and I will investigate. Shouldn't be hard to reproduce and see what it inside this memory.
Developer
Feb 15, 2013 at 7:41 PM
Orchard Hungary runs on 64b without any problems. I can't tell about relative memory consumption but that site (two tenants, orchardproject.hu id the main tenant) with output caching eats about 150MB on startup that peaks at ca. 250MB and averages at about 200MB.