Widget Layer for url with user name vs Using controller

Topics: Customizing Orchard
Nov 5, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I'm creating a functionality for my site which involves displaying User profile information on a page and some small snipped of profile info on different pages.

I'm using current profile module and am kind of stuck on whether should I proceed with a widget with multiple template or directly use Controller to throw shapes and use Views.

Here are my questions...

1) Can I create a widget layer for User Name in the URL? I tried using {User.Name} token in later rules but it doesn't work. If I create a widget layer for url ('~\profile\tippingpoint'), it doesn't work and also * is not working either. My requirement is to be able to create single widget with template flags and use them at various places. And yes, I also need to access URL user name within the widget to display non logged in user profile info.

2) If I use a No-Widget solution and directly use controller to throw User shape in Index view, how best I can split this info into BeforeMain, Content and ASideSecond Zones? I'm not very thorough with placement concept if that can help. Would this solution be scalable if I plan to add widgets to my page in future?

3) In both the scenarios above, I need to retrieve several other content types (or list/queries) along with User content type. What is the best way to send multiple content types in single request operation? for example, I want to display User-Profile info with Events user has created (it's a separate content type)!!! Can this be achieved in both above scenarios or one is easier than other?

Appreciate help!!!

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Appreciate if somebody can respond!!!

Thanks

Coordinator
Nov 6, 2012 at 8:52 AM

1. You'll have to build your own token

2. Create shapes and add them to those zones

3. retrieve where and from where? Send where? Why can't you get those additional items from the content manager?