Bootstrap Update

Topics: Writing themes
Oct 30, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Edited Oct 30, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I'm finally getting around to updating the Bootstrap theme.

I'm fixing the Search feature in the nav bar as well as adding a login shape for the nav bar that can be turned on/off. It will work with the new Navigation system including sub-menus.

I'm trying not to add too much customization so that people can style it the way they want, but is there anything in particular that anyone would like to see in it?

The areas that I'm styling are Blog Summary, Blog Detail, Comments, Content Title, Metadata...since these really don't look good without some basic styling applied to them. I may add some styling to the Tripel containers.

It will again by a dynamic layout so that Aside First and Aside Second create "wells" (as Bootstrap calls them). I've also added some of the "responsive" features of Bootstrap so the navbar and layout will be mobile/tablet friendly.

If there's anything you'd like added, please let me know. Thanks.

Developer
Oct 30, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Did you update it to Bootstrap 2.2 ?

Will you update https://hg.codeplex.com/orchardbootstrap ?

I have made my own them from yours for my site.

I will may be make a new one based on this one : http://talkslab.github.com/metro-bootstrap/ 

Oct 30, 2012 at 6:14 PM
Edited Oct 30, 2012 at 6:30 PM

It's currently on Bootstrap 2.1.1. 2.2 hasn't been released yet as far as I know.

Yes...when it's complete, I'll update the CodePlex project.

If you've ever been to https://wrapbootstrap.com/, you can see the themes possible. I actually took one of these themes and combined it with Orchard and it runs great. It takes a bit of customization, which makes hard to publish as general theme for all to use, but they translate to an Orchard setup quite easily.

EDIT: hmmm...refresh the page and 2.2 is available now

Developer
Oct 31, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Yes, I know https://wrapbootstrap.com/.

I don't know if you can buy a design and then make it an Orchard theme, available for everyone on the gallery?

As discussed in the meeting, a new Default and Admin Theme should be created for Orchard 1.7.

The team is looking for a minimal, responsive css framework and I think Bootstrap is the best option.

For example, here is a nice Bootstrap Admin theme : http://wbpreview.com/previews/WB0F35928/index.html

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I don't believe you can purchase one of their designs and then publish a theme around it in the gallery...the licensing is for individual use only. I actually purchased one and I've integrated into an Orchard site that I'll be pushing out live soon. It was incredibly easy to modify it for use in Orchard.

The Unicorn Admin that you linked to is actually one of my favorites for an Admin area and I think it would blend very well into Orchard.

As far as a new Default theme for Orchard 1.7, please feel free to take anything you like from the Bootstrap theme I'll be uploading soon. If any of the code or design can be used, I'll feel like I'm giving the tiniest piece back to the awesome team that designs Orchard.

Nov 1, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Almost done...I've added support for LESS if you install the DOTLESS module, pagination has been updated, navigation has been updated and supports click or hover-over dropdowns AND sub-menus to 3 levels. There are 2 shapes for the navigation bar...a Search input and a Login shape. The Login shape provides a username/password combo if not logged in, and a User dropdown menu with Change Password/Logout/Dashboard links. I re-arranged and styled the meta information to a format I liked better and I also re-arranged and styled the Comments. I've included 2 Layout.cshtml files...one for a fixed layout and one for a fluid layout. I thought this would be easier than making the user change the Layout file...now they just need to rename the one they want to use.

I think all I have left to work on is the Logon/Registration pages and Search results. I've kept all the zones from The Theme Machine...the only thing that has changed is the Navigation zone has been moved above the Header zone since it's a fixed navigation. This can be changed fairly easily though.

I've updated Bootstrap to 2.2.1. I may include some additional scripts that play nice with Bootstrap such as the Datepicker script.

Let me know if I'm missing anything.

Developer
Nov 2, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I'd like to contribute to some improvements and alternate views : Control Wrappers, Change password, Request Lost password, Archives, Taxonomies, Fields, ...

Could you add me as a developer of the codeplex project to be able to push my changes?

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Okay...I think I added you as a developer. Let me know if I screwed it up =) lol

See my vizify bio!
Philip Senechal's Visual Thumbprint

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 7:33 AM, agriffard <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I'd like to contribute to some improvements and alternate views : Control Wrappers, Change password, Request Lost password, Archives, Taxonomies, Fields, ...

Could you add me as a developer of the codeplex project to be able to push my changes?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (orchard@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email orchard@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com