placement.info and _Edit

Topics: Writing modules
Oct 22, 2012 at 10:56 AM
Edited Oct 22, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I have a module and when the fields were added to the Part; they weren't added in the order in which I'd like them to appear when creating a new one (Admin view).  Two of the text fields were added to the part; the TitlePart and the ContentPicker were added via alter part - so my cshtm template doesn't handle them directly; instead they are handled in their own part template files.

But it seems like no matter what I try in the placement.info (the one with the module that created the part) - I can't seem to reorder the fields (hide them or anything) - So I assume that I must be doing something wrong.

Since Shape Tracing doesn't show up on the admin pages; what is the best way for me to figure out how to change the order of these fields.

Let's call the part "MyPart" and the fields are:

Text : Title (handled by TitlePart)

Text : HeaderText (handled by MyPart)

Text: CaptionText (handled by MyPart)

Fields.ContentPicker: SelectedItems (handled by Fields.ContentPicker)

Any suggestions?

NOTE: I can hide all of them by removing Parts_MyPart_Edit from my placement.info; (or using a "-"); but I'd like to go down to the field level and change the order of the fields. Since some of these fields are being rendered by another template file (e.g. the TitlePart and ContentPicker) - I don't have them in my _Edit template - it only contains the two text fields.

thanks

Coordinator
Oct 22, 2012 at 5:44 PM

What did you try?

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:19 PM
Edited Oct 22, 2012 at 10:20 PM

every conceivable variation (that I could think of that made sense). The real part name is "SidebarNavigation"

To test; I clicked Create new type (of that type) and that resulting page had all 4 fields headertext,captiontext,title,contentitems  (in that order).

If I use "<Place Parts_SidebarNavigation_Edit="-"/>" then all 4 disappear.

If I use "<Place Parts_Title_Edit__SidebarNavigation="-" />" then the title will disappear.

But I can't figure out how to hide the HeaderText (Fields_Common_Text_Edit), CaptionText (Fields_Common_Text_Edit)  or ContentItems (Fields_ContentPicker_Edit) .

Once I can hide them; at least then I know I can control them; at that point - I'd like to move the title to the top - right now it renders below everything. Same goes for the ContentPicker - I'd like to move that up as well.

If it helps; on the non-admin side (rendering on the site):

When I use shape tracer - if I click the "HeaderText" - I see that the shape is "Parts_SidebarNavigation" and that the ContentPicker's shape is "Fields_ContentPicker"

When clicking the "Content" item itself (the parent of my properties) - and view the "Model". I see TitlePart - which seems to be working; another part that I see (the one of interest) is a part called "SidebarNavigationPart"; under that I see HeaderText (text field), CaptionText (text field) and ContentItems (content picker field).

Does this help?

Coordinator
Oct 22, 2012 at 11:26 PM

What happens when you do <Place Fields_Common_Text_Edit="Content:1"/> ?