NHibernate 3.3

Topics: Core, Customizing Orchard, General, Writing modules
Oct 20, 2012 at 1:37 PM
Edited Oct 20, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Well that's an improvement. But! Can someone (the developers and gurus like Bertrand, Sebastien, Sipke, Bernard, Piedone etc....) tell us what are the changes (in code) and what are the concequences of these changes:

- What does this mean (upgrade to 3.3)

- Can you provide us with real-world examples (answers like "look into the code" is (for the average orchard user) like asking someone what did you eat today? his answer is "look into my BRAIN". Yeh!!!

- What about the fetch strategies? Are they now simpler? Examples folks (and no "look into the code sh..").

Oke nice. I still have other questions but I have (at this moment) no idea which ones (forgotten). Someone has other questions (concerning the implementation/usage of NH 3.3)?

Coordinator
Oct 20, 2012 at 8:40 PM

(that Bernard person has not been very active lately: http://www.codeplex.com/site/users/view/Bernard I wonder why people keep referring to him)

Otherwise, sorry, I can't help with that one. Maybe Bernard can.

Developer
Oct 20, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Since I was directly spoken to, although I know very little about this: content services are the same, so you can use IContentManager or even IRepository in the same way; however I've seen Piotr changing arguments of OrderBy queries:

// Old:
query.OrderBy<CommonPartRecord, DateTime?>(cr => cr.ModifiedUtc);

// New:
query.OrderBy<CommonPartRecord>(cr => cr.ModifiedUtc);

But you have to ask him about this :-).

But what do you want to use exactly? Are you directly interacting with NHibernate anywhere, or are you just using the built-in services?

I don't think Bernard will say anything useful here ;-).

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:32 PM
Edited Oct 21, 2012 at 12:33 PM

So basically, for developers this upgrade has no influence. It's a core issue! Am I right?

Well its really strange that Bernard is not very active, lately. 

Coordinator
Oct 21, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Well, there are some nHibernate constructs that were valid before and that aren't anymore and need to be changed. Best way to find out is to test your existing modules with the new RC and see if you hit any problems.

Developer
Oct 21, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Functionally there is no change (but performance should be better e.g.) if you haven't written modules that interact with records directly in an advanced way (like managing aggregates). If you have, in that field there were changes as far as I can tell, but I have no further knowledge on this.

Since this is getting a bit unfunny: there is no Bernard, but Bertrand, who is quite ;-).

Coordinator
Oct 21, 2012 at 8:57 PM

You're unfunny.

Developer
Oct 21, 2012 at 9:05 PM

What I wanted to say: "who is quite active". Sorry :-).

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Oke thanks. 

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Since there are some changes, as Piedone outlined; how to use the NH3.3 in the case of aggregates. Please blog of explain.