USE instead of MOVE widget to current layer

Topics: General
Oct 20, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Hello everybody.

First, I am new to Orchard.
Second, I have a long expreience in working with other web-based CMS like DNN or TYPO3 e.g.
Third, I was not my choice, that Orchard was chosen.

I am open to new things - sometimes being used to something might stand in the way for improvement.

But there are at least two things in Orchard I really do not understand.
(if the Orchard inventors had in ming to create a CMS with potential to become something relevant)

1. No Treeview of all pages in the Backend, to handle and access pages.
    A standard and a big chance which was not taken.
    Large sites can simply not been handled. Multi-languaged sites? No way to access pages and content quick and easy.

2. Re-usable content (widgets).
    News, same picture headers - just to name some possible contents - can not be reused on different pages.
    The option is missing on the widget page "Use widget on current layer" - ONLY move is given. I am sure I will not agree and understand why the developers and creators of Orchard have not chosen this functionality as ESSENTIAL.

Maybe I have overseen an allready possible way to use both points in Orchard today?
I yes, please help.

I really would appreciate your proposals - if there are possible solitions, as I do not have the choice to change the CMS.

Kind regards and many thanks in advance,
Stefan

PS: Being in the IT since 1989 it is sure understandable that I was really having a hard time to understand Orchard - when I had an easy access where every step was taken naturally way back in 2001, when I first used TYPO3. Still, I am seeing this as a challenge to remain open-minded. But believe me, Orchard is demanding a lot to keep this attitude ^^

Coordinator
Oct 20, 2012 at 8:42 AM

There is a treeview module available on the gallery. But treeviews suck. There are much better ways to implement large sites, such as taxonomies. I don't know what you mean by "Multi-languaged sites? No way to access pages and content quick and easy".

You are completely wrong about widgets. You can perfectly well re-use them: just create layers and build the corresponding rule as appropriate. I don't know what your layer rules look like but it seems like you have misunderstood the feature and missed the possibility to make rules that apply to more than just the url for a page.

I'm sorry you're being forced to use something you don't like.

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Hi Bertrand.

Thank you for your post. I am forced to use Orchard AND I wrote that I would like to stay open minded.
I try to take it as Karma and am really trying to make the best out of it.
Thank you for your support :-)

I wonder how a HTML Widget, wich is used to show a specific Headvisual on several pages can be re-used with your approach?

Rules as associated with events and actions - that is nothing I need here - a condition if you will is needed, right?
Currently I do not have any layer rules in place. I did not find any documentation which says, if you would like to re-use content on several pages, do ....

So, any hint? Any example? I would really appreciate if there is a documentation on rules in that context they support re-using content.

Taxonomies - hmmm... the name implies the function, true.
I will install - asking myself, why such an essential part of an CMS is not present in a vanilla system. 

I will keep you updated - thank you for re-posting on saturday!

Cheers,
Stefan 

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:04 AM
iinet wrote:

I will install - asking myself, why such an essential part of an CMS is not present in a vanilla system. 

It has been discussed some hours ago, and taxonomies will certainly be included in core 1.7.

Coordinator
Oct 20, 2012 at 8:50 PM

We're not talking about the same rules. I'm talking about layer rules: http://docs.orchardproject.net/Documentation/Managing-widgets#AddingaLayer

The conditions for a layer to be displayed rely on a rule that can be a complex expression (and you can even extend that with your own layer rule types).

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Maybe USE cannot be accomplished here but there should certainly be in addition to "Move to current layer" also a "Copy to current layer"

One other thing I think I understand the original question and this is how I see it:

1. You are showcasing the widgets/layers/zones as a create a Layer for the TheHomepage url '~/' and stick a HTML widget with some slideshow content in the Featured zone. All good for now.
  2. Then if you create a new Page "Test" and also want to show that same slideshow content on that page you are stuck with the "Move to current layer" and people expect either "Use in current layer" or "Copy to current layer"
  3. A solution I found is to change the Layer name to "Slideshow Content" and put a single HTML widget with slideshow content in the Featured zone and then just every time you create a new page like "Test", "Test2" just edit the Layer rule to add  url '~/' or url '~/test' or url '~/test2' this way you reuse the widget on 3 pages
  4. BUT this seems a bit odd to have a layer per widget (yet very powerful), or does it????
  5. a similar solution is developed by YooTheme (Warp Framework) for wordpress where you create a Widget put it in a Featured position (zone) and then you just "checkbox" on which of existing pages you want it to show (its actually a multi-selectbox but that's not the point).
Oct 26, 2012 at 2:07 PM

#Se3ker
Thank you for the post.
 You are describing it well. I used the term "Use" because a copy might be an independent copy of the widget, wich might be changed and than be different from the original.

I managed the mehtod you described already and - yes, I experiance it as odd to add the corresponding URLs.

(What if they change? Why not pointing in a visual process to the object and have its ID automatically referenced?)

I mean this is not rocket science and it this particular matter it can be regarded as "standard" if you take DNN or TYPO3 as example. 

Actually I was also struggeling in finding the layer-rules to extend them (add more URLs) - in a two minute search I did not succeed - bummer!

To be honest, I do not know much about the Orchard Project and its goals and where it cam from.
Maybe I was a complete wrong pick to start with Orchard and my organisation did a big mistake.

Maybe I am mistaking ... 

I am progressing in getting the site ready - and honestly, I am taking every hurdle as a challenge to remain flexible, curious and willing to learn new things and views how to see them.

I would be glad if my posts might have some influence on how Orchard will be extended in the future. 

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Im my opinion Orchard is already ready from prime use as a similarity to wordpress, but the thing with wordpress is that not one site made with it is just made with wordpress alone, there is usually at least one framework on top of it that makes it better and more usable. Orchard un-modded already provides nearly same benefits, just takes a bit of time to catch on.

Oct 27, 2012 at 1:20 PM
Edited Oct 27, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Issue Resolved ...

Just press the button "Edit" ...