Admin Dashboard customization

Topics: Customizing Orchard, Writing modules
Oct 15, 2012 at 7:11 AM

I'm thinking about dashboard expansion options.

There are quite a lot of modules which could give a summary about their status. The dashboard might be a good place to add it. Unfortunately there is no way to add panels here without replacing the whole page (even this I didn't manage to do - maybe tried not so hard).

Anyway, are there any plans to give module developers an access to the dashboard?

Simplest scenario could be:

1. Module declares that the some link could be shown as a iframe (similar to advisory) with translatable title and icon.

2. Back-end user decide - which panels are visible and which are not.

Coordinator
Oct 15, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Yes, we've talked many times of dashboard customization and admin widgets. Event feeds was one suggestion for a dashboard widget for example. We've never built it however. It would be a great contribution if it's made in a very extensible way.

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Hooray. I've suppressed the Dashboard with own module. I'll contribute as soon as get something useful.

Btw, what do you mean by Event feeds? Turning the rss into panel, or?

Coordinator
Oct 16, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I mean a standard report that any module can send messages to in order to report recent activity, such as new comments, alerts, etc., displayed as a feed in a dashboard widget.

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:01 PM
Edited Oct 17, 2012 at 12:03 PM

One sleepless night, and I'm done ;)

I've added it into the gallery to test recipe. Here: https://gallery.orchardproject.net/List/Modules/Orchard.Module.Orchard.Contrib.Dashboard

Functionality you mentioned, can be expanded by developing a custom DashboardItem.

Coordinator
Oct 17, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Nice start. Maybe put the manage link into the menu, under settings?

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Done. There is a breaking change in Orchard 1.6 about AntiForgeryToken. The fix is not yet included, will update it after 1.6 final is released.

Developer
Oct 26, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Do you host your source code somewhere ?

Nov 2, 2012 at 7:07 AM

Yes. http://svn.usanov.net/orchard-modules-public/trunk/Modules/Orchard.Contrib.Dashboard/