MVC3 Question - "Add Area" Missing in VS2010

Topics: Writing modules
Oct 10, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Hello,

New to Orchard...

Just installed Orchard and I am following the "Hello World" tutorial to get me up and running with building modules.

But, I am failing at the first step.

I know I have MVC 3 installed and I am running VS2010 but when I right click on the project node and look for the opriong "Add > Area" it's missing... the option is just not there?

I can create a blank MVC3 project with no problem and the option is there but it's not there in the Orchard solution.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong please?

Many thanks

Trev

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Hi Trev,

That's right, VS will not recognise it as an MVC project so certain 'helpful shortcuts' wont work.

A module is by default its own area anyway, so you don't need to add an area yourself.

Essentially there are 2 ways to create a module, either create a new project (class library) in the Src -> Orchard.Web -> Modules folder then add it to your source orchard project, or the easiest way is to use code generation to create a module for you - that way it will put it in the right place.

So don't worry, you haven't done anything wrong. And Orchard is well worth the time and effort to get up to speed with it...

Roland

Developer
Oct 10, 2012 at 3:38 PM

As said, enable the codegen module and use the orchard.exe command-line tool in Orchard.Web\Bin.

Here is a tutorial about how to build a module in Orchard :

http://docs.orchardproject.net/Documentation/Building-a-hello-world-module

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:55 PM

brilliant! - thanks guys, just working through creating my 1st module now...

trev