Clean up history of Orchard site after development

Topics: Administration, General
Oct 8, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Hi,

Is there a way to clean up the history of an Orchard site after the initial development is finished?

I understand this is not necessary, but while developing my first site I tried several approaches to see what works best. The db still contains all these try-outs that are not in use anymore. I'd rather put the site online without that excessive stuff.

Oct 8, 2012 at 7:01 PM

You can start with a fresh database let your now stable Migrations.cs build out only the correct schema. 

Oct 8, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Migrations.cs? Where can I find this and how can I run it against the new db?

Oct 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM

If you don't know what Migrations.cs is you probably don't have to worry about it. I assumed you had been modifying code, but it sounds more like you've been installing/configuring modules from the gallery and/or editing content from a default install. 

Migrations.cs is a file that defines new database schema, or alters existing schema. 

You could export all the data for your Orchard instance from Dashboard -> Import/Export. That will give you an xml file with all your data and settings. If you want to exclude some data you could modify the xml to filter out all the content you no longer want. Then you could create a brand new orchard site (either locally or deployed to another server), and then import the edited xml. 

Coordinator
Oct 9, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Maybe just export your contents from your dev box and then import it in production?

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Thanks both. Will try this when the site goes live next week.