Steering Committee: Will Candidates Please Step Forward?

Topics: Announcements
Coordinator
Oct 3, 2012 at 4:47 PM

It's this time of year. Next week, we'll have all seats on the Steering Committee up for renewal. Will candidates please declare themselves and explain in a few sentences why they should be one of the five people who will make the governance decisions for the whole Orchard community?

This thread is open until the next podcast, Tuesday October 9th at 12:00PM Pacific Time, at which time a new thread will be open for voting (secret voting will also be available).

Coordinator
Oct 3, 2012 at 5:02 PM
Edited Oct 3, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I'll be a candidate. I've been working on Orchard since it began, and even a few years before that. CMS has been a passion of mine for a very long time, and Orchard is everything I want a CMS to be. We do however have a lot more work ahead of us.

As a PM at Microsoft, I've steered the project towards greater openness, and the Steering Committee is the result of that effort: it's now the community that has the final say on the direction we all take together. We are also taking all the decisions in the open, during our public weekly podcasts. I think it's fair to say that this project is one of the most open that there are.

This past year, this community has bloomed. Many of you are now working full-time on Orchard. I myself have left Microsoft in early 2012 to go into the trenches with you and become an independant Orchard developer. I hope I've been helping many of you get started, by answering questions here and on Stack Overflow.

Next year should be about growing this community further and have it accelerate. There is also a set of crucial features that are still missing from the core, that we need to include in 1.7 and future releases. And of course, we need to think about big changes for 2.0.

I would like to renew my commitment to this community by running as a candidate for a seat on the Committee, and then as Benevolent Dictator.

Thank you for your support.

Coordinator
Oct 3, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I am in. Too lazy to tell how valuable I could be to Orchard though. So you can just trust me.

Cheers,
Sebastien 

Developer
Oct 3, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I will put my hand in for candidacy. I have been working on Orchard since December 2009. At the time I was working for Bath Spa University, where we tried to steer my boss away from implementing DNN, this required us to produce a list of .net alternatives, I looked at many, but found myself drawn to the Orchard architecture. My passion about open source started exactly then, and from that point onwards I have never looked back.

If I look back on the last year or so of what I have achieved from sitting on the steering committee, developing open source modules and building sites (some very ‘interesting’ one) for clients, I am extremely proud.

Going forward there is a lot of stuff I would like to do and would like, thus I would like to renew my position at the forefront of this great product and community so will also be running for a seat on the Committee.

Nick

Developer
Oct 3, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I am candidate. I think there are too few French people in the committee ;-)

My name is Antoine Griffard.

Here are some reasons to vote for me :

I am a .NET developer for 8 years and I work with Orchard for 2 years.

I make some modules and themes for the gallery.

I created http://orchardproject.fr, the French Orchard community and try to make it grow.

I contributed for some modules and features development since version 1.4 and translated some of the French localizations files.

I try to write some articles on my personal site and blogs http://antoinegriffard.fr

Developer
Oct 3, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I'll volunteer. Orchard is important to me and I am committed to continue improving the product and increasing community size. One way I intend to help with that is by making Orchard development more accessible and share knowledge and continue to provide tutorials and documentation. There's also something else coming up which will boost the platform and its community to the next level. More on this to be revealed early 2013.

Sipke

Oct 4, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I'll step up. I love Orchard too much not too.

I'm Nick Daniels

I work for the City of Montpelier, Vermont (Answering standard Vermont questions: Yes, Vermont is a US state, the 14th in fact. Montpelier is it's capital and it really only has ~8000 residents. And it's true there is no McDonalds here, and it's the only capital without one. Moving on...)

We have 2 enterprise applications built on Orchard, a document management system and a time tracking application. I have been working with Orchard for the last 2 years, and besides my employers Orchard apps I have built several Orchard based websites (sorry my NDA prevents me from telling you what they are). My contributions to the Orchard Gallery thus far have been some framework modules: Knockout and DotLess, as well as the Worker Service module for all those long running command line processes.

I have some ideas for moving Orchard forward, such as some improvements in dependency handling of Gallery modules and getting a password reset module into the main distro. But at the end of the day I'd just like to take my love of Orchard and try and make it and it's community the best it can be.

Oct 4, 2012 at 6:35 PM
sfmskywalker wrote:

I'll volunteer. Orchard is important to me and I am committed to continue improving the product and increasing community size. One way I intend to help with that is by making Orchard development more accessible and share knowledge and continue to provide tutorials and documentation. There's also something else coming up which will boost the platform and its community to the next level. More on this to be revealed early 2013.

Sipke

Damn! I hate suspense. 

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:14 AM

My name is Pedro Costa, and I've been an avid follower of Orchard for a couple of years, I've worked with many frameworks and built a couple over the past 10 years, but Orchard is the one that gives me the most pleasure to work with due to it's awesome power :)

We've recently launched a service based on Orchard configuration, development, maintenance and training at http://nublr.pt/ (still in Portuguese only, we're working on the EN translations).

Our aim is to increase the community of real world users of Orchard because we believe in it and want to see it succeed where other platforms have failed.

We currently have all the themes in the gallery available to use free of charge, and we are forging partnerships with creatives interested in selling their themes via our service, if anyone is interested please contact me on pedro [at] nublr [dot] pt.

We would be able to help improve the platforms usability by providing feedback and acting upon it, as well as bug fixing and improvements to the azure implementation.

The feedback we're getting is that the platform has the results, but the back-end has some usability issues, using the custom forms as an example, the steps to create one are mind boggling to non techs!

Therefore I would like to step up to the challenge and contribute to the community wherever I can.

Developer
Oct 8, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I step forward as well.

My real name is Zoltán Lehóczky, I'm a computer science student from Hungary.

I've been involved in Orchard for about a year, having authored many Orchard modules (all of my open-source Orchard modules are listed from under my Codepex profile; not counting incomplete, deprecated or very trivial modules I've created or co-authored 22), co-founding Orchard Hungary and also presenting at Harvest.

Occasionally I'm active here on the discussion board and contribute to the source; the number of bugreports I filed is that high that Sebastien suggested killing me :-D.

As a Steering Committee member I can promise the following:

• With me the youth will get a voice in the Committee (it's Sebastien's opinion: once he said: "<insert some important Orchard developers' names here> are rock stars; Zoltán and Benedek are too young to be rock stars).
  • I'll pledge myself to the noble cause of getting file existence check into Orchard.
  • And possibly also put my two cents in when it's about media management, targeted for 1.7.
Developer
Oct 9, 2012 at 4:38 PM
Edited Oct 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I'm in too, of course!

My name is Piotr Szmyd and I've been here in the Orchard community for quite a while (ie. from its very beginning, couple years ago:) 

As a member of the Steering Commitee I did my best to help us get to the point where we're now by influencing the design and implementation of certain features, reporting and fixing bugs and so on. There is still a lot to be done, though, and I'd be more than proud to be able to continue working on this project I put a lot of faith in.

One of my main goals was (and will be) to share knowledge and spread the word about Orchard by:

• being active on forums, as well as answering lots of Orchard-related questions on StackOverflow
  • writing blog posts covering entry-level as well as complex topics about Orchard development
  • presenting at Orchard Harvest summit
  • speaking about Orchard at a number of local events (.NET Student Group @ Warsaw University, IT Academic Days etc.)

Over the last years I also managed to author or co-author a number of widely used Orchard modules (new coming soon!) and set up a company focused solely on providing Orchard-based development and consultancy services.

Btw - as Sipke already mentioned, there's also something big planned to air in 2013, which I'm really excited about and proud to be a part of (cliffhanger intended:)

If you'd like to know more about me, feel free to drop me an e-mail or:

Coordinator
Oct 9, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Thanks everyone. This thread should be considered closed. Voting will start this afternoon. Look for a new thread.

Oct 9, 2012 at 10:02 PM

What I have contribute thus far:

• Organized the first global Orchard summit - Harvest 2012 held in Santa Monica, CA Sept 8-9
  • As head of Product/Platform Development at Onestop Internet, we are actively working with and extending the Orchard framework which has led to the following Community Contributions:
  •  
    • Onestop Navigation - advanced navigation system compatible with 1.5 and 1.6
    • Onestop.SEO (comparable plug-in to WP SEO)
    • Onestop.LayoutSelectr
    • Onestop.CustomAdmin
  • Fostered the global and local communities, actively participated in weekly Steering Committee meetings

As a non-developer, I propose that I would bring a complimentary perspective to the Committee and possibly community as a whole. Simply put, I want us to build (as a community) a competitive best of breed platform from a framework and architectural stand point.  As much as we need to continue to focus on the core framework, just as importantly, we would be remiss not to develop a product that is also elegant, intuitive, and easy to use.  I will strongly encourage us to provide end users (for many of us those are our customers) a front-end interface (UX) that will allow them to embrace and love its flexibility, power and ease of use.

If elected, as a Steering Committee member, I would strive to push the following initiatives/goals:

• To contribute to the growth of the community as a whole.  Harvest 2013 coming soon...
  • Assist in supporting Orchard local communities around the world.  Our success as a global community is very much tied to the success of our local communities' ability to foster brand champions and increase adoption. 
  • A focus on the product development and strategy of Orchard.  Front-end templating, drag and drop widgets for page(s) or layer creations...Build a killer product that not only relies on the elegance of the existing framework, but will eventually allow non-developers as well to embrace what this community is striving to build.

Over the 18 months, I have closely collaborated with several very active members of the community.  Together, we have made many contributions both direct and indirect to the community.  It has been a great pleasure to be a part of this process.

I hope that you will allow me to participate in the near future as a Committee member by supporting me with your votes!

If you want some more information about my varied professional background:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/ylankunstler or have any questions for me please feel free to contact me.

Coordinator
Oct 10, 2012 at 12:07 AM
Edited Oct 10, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Just a note to mention that because of special circumstances, we have decided at today's meeting to accept Ylan's candidacy despite his being a few minutes late.

Oh, and the voting thread is here: http://orchard.codeplex.com/discussions/398726