Setup the site works fine but CSS isnt loading

Topics: Administration, Core, General, Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Oct 2, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Hi All,

Heard a lot of good things about this CMS,

I have setup the site on IIS and the problem seems to be having is the CSS isn't loading into the site. when I look at the source code i see this line of code

<link href="/Orchard/Themes/TheThemeMachine/Styles/Site.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

and When I try to load it ill get this error :

"The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred."

Any help would be appreciated.

Oct 2, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Check app_data\logs for error messages. 

Oct 2, 2012 at 5:27 PM

No errors in the logs

Coordinator
Oct 2, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Your install is probably incomplete.

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I had to remove the following from the Web.config files to serve static content on my IIS7 installation:

<staticContent>
      <clientCache cacheControlMode="UseMaxAge" cacheControlMaxAge="7.00:00:00" />
    </staticContent>

You can quickly test if you have the same problem, by changing /Orchard/Themes/TheThemeMachine/Styles/Web.config.

If you can now load /Orchard/Themes/TheThemeMachine/Styles/Site.css in the browser you have the choice of editing all the Web.config, and there are a lot, or changing the IIS7 configuration to give you permission to add this section to the Web.config files.

If the problem persists you will need to enable Trace Logging for failed requests in IIS7 for a more detailed error.

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Hi,

check if the file C:\Orchard\src\Orchard.Web\Themes\TheThemeMachine\Styles\Sites.css is available.

Change the theme by another one, you should have the Sites.css available.

It included in each theme.

Best regards,

Alexandre

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:28 PM

For anyone interested, I had a similar problem which was due to NOT running ASP.NET 4.0 in INTEGRATED mode in my shared hosting.

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:00 PM
Edited Dec 10, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I'm having this same issue - site hosted on Arvixe and it can't find the path to CSS and images correctly, I just see my data.  I *did* in fact have the site hosted in classic mode (4.0) like bentos but when I changed it to run using the 4.0 integrated pipeline, I get the error: Server Error in '/' Application. Could not load file or assembly 'WebsitePanel.IIsModules, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=37f9c58a0aa32ff0' or one of its dependencies.  You can see this yourself at http://www.prthompson.com/.

I'm using Web Matrix w/ a SQL Server instance, mostly since it's just easier to deploy (I'm an Orchard/.NET noob.)

I also tried what filetek suggested above, commenting out the staticContent node for the Theme Machine and switching to that theme but no luck. 

Arvixe support asked if I compiled using a specific CPU but I didn't change any of the Platform Conditions in any modules, I guess the one that would matter most would be for setup but I have it the default of AnyCPU:  Modules\Orchard.Setup\Orchard.Setup.csproj(6): <Platform Condition=" '$(Platform)' == '' ">AnyCPU</Platform>

I *am* getting this error in the log but I don't think it related to this issue:  2012-12-10 14:38:39,806 [13] Orchard.ContentManagement.Drivers.Coordinators.ContentPartDriverCoordinator - NullReferenceException thrown from IContentPartDriver by Orchard.Projections.Drivers.ProjectionPartDriver
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I get a similar error locally but the site is up, no exceptions in the browser:  2012-12-10 15:52:13,626 [16] Orchard.ContentManagement.DefaultContentManager - NullReferenceException thrown from IContentHandler by Orchard.Blogs.Handlers.BlogPostPartHandler
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Any ideas?  How can I fix the above exceptions?  Maybe I need to load it in VS 2010 so I can debug it and see what's null, I've tried to account for nulls in BlogPostPartHandler to no avail.

Thx in advance, this forum is essential to learning all this!

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:57 AM
bentos wrote:

For anyone interested, I had a similar problem which was due to NOT running ASP.NET 4.0 in INTEGRATED mode in my shared hosting.

Hi Bentos, how do you resolved this? I'm having the similar issue as well and my shared hosting has no idea on what needs to be done. 

Coordinator
Dec 14, 2012 at 1:00 AM

WebSitePanel has got *nothing* to do with Orchard. That's the management software that Arvixe uses. This issue should be fixed by Arvixe support, and there's nothing we can do about it unfortunately.

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Edited Jan 9, 2013 at 2:03 PM
bentos wrote:

@bentos:  many thanks, I am testing out shared hosting with a new company and this instantly solved the issue.  I just went into the control panel and changed to integrated pipeline and away we went.

----------

As to BertrandLeRoy's quote:

"WebSitePanel has got *nothing* to do with Orchard. That's the management software that Arvixe uses. This issue should be fixed by Arvixe support, and there's nothing we can do about it unfortunately."

I would say the following:

Although I can appreciate BertrandLeRoy's frustration with people asking questions that don't relate to Orchard, the reality is that the usability of Orchard is a key issue that they should be just as interested in as in providing new features in new releases.  Otherwise, it may be a great project, but if the usability bar is too high, then it will die.

Yes, Orchard is easy to use... until you have this sort of problem.  That is where I feel the Orchard support team, whoever they are and however busy they are, don't "get it".  They seem to assume that the people using Orchard are like them.  

Ie, that they work (or have until recently worked) in a cubicle in a large development company where they have access to pooled skills from many developers.  

This 'persona' is quite simply UNREALISTIC.  

A significant number of developers, like me, do not work in that kind of environment.  Let's call that kind of developer the 'Lone Ranger Developer' persona, as opposed to the 'Cubicle Developer' persona.

The Lone Rangers work on their own, with a JIT skill set that is driven by immediate requirements that can be gleaned from Stackoverflow.com.  

As Orchard does not have a large user base, the information on stackoverflow (or google for that matter) is limited.  

So the Lone Rangers rely heavily on assistance on this forum.  Skills that may seem obvious to cubicle developers are simply not in the lone ranger developer's skill set.  

Realising this is, I think, important for the people providing support for Orchard.

In my opinion, they DON'T realise this.  As a result, with the current standard of support, Orchard is really only usable by cubicle developers or very experienced developers.

As a result, some of the 'support' provided by the Orchard team could easily be construed as anything from derisive to dismissive.  This is a mistake and I conjecture that this is one of the reasons Orchard is not more widely used.

You should try and find out how many lone ranger developer's are using your product, and how this compares with your more successful competitors.

Ie, the people providing Orchard support, if you really do want a broader user base, should develop a 'persona' of the lone ranger developer and what are the pitfalls that they face.  I am happy to provide any information that you want towards building up a profile of the sort of person who has just enough skills to get Orchard running, but not the advanced skills that the support team blindly assume that the likes of me have.

In this specific instance, it would be nice to know that you need the Integrated mode to get Orchard to find stylesheets, images and js files.  And the support team should highlight this information when it appears in a forum, to give it their seal of approval, even if it is a special case.

Do they have time to do that?  I have no idea.  A better question is:

CAN THEY AFFORD TO *NOT* HAVE THE TIME?

For what it is worth, that is what I think.

Andrew

Mar 22, 2013 at 4:24 AM
bentos wrote:
Simply perfect!. Thanks bentos! You just saved many hours and days trying to figure out what the heck was going on with my Orchard site in a shared hosting environment. I should have looked here first:)
Mar 22, 2013 at 4:40 AM
This also solved my issue. Thanks... we should highlight the the Integrated Services part of the document so that all us idiots get the idea :)

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 9:24 PM, jboconne <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

bentos wrote:
Simply perfect!. Thanks bentos! You just saved many hours and days trying to figure out what the heck was going on with my Orchard site in a shared hosting environment. I should have looked here first:)

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (orchard@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email orchard@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--
Mark :)
Apr 2, 2013 at 2:50 PM
+1!

I just had this same issue on Arvixe, running the cheapest hosting option. Based on what I read I thought that perhaps orchard v1.6 required full trust (can't remember where I read that), and Arvixe support said I'd need a VPS or dedicated server to run it. All I needed to do was change to integrated pipeline.