Why did Orchard delete all my blog posts?

Topics: General
Sep 27, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Edited Sep 27, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I spent the afternoon creating two blogs and adding / formatting posts, but now, my blogs are perplexingly empty. Has anyone else encountered similar errors?

The only explanation I can think of is that they were overwritten because I had another window open (from a different browser as well) from earlier in the day. I made some updates from this second browser window, and around that time, my blog posts disappeared.

This second window had been open longer and presumably had older content cached. However, I wasn't editing the blog posts from this second window; I was working with Widgets. I don't understand why this would have overwritten my blog post. Does Orchard update your entire site every time you click save, rather than just updating the pertinent section?

Could this second browser window be the culprit? Is there any way to recover my work? Are there any similar pitfalls to watch out for? Thanks, Orcas!

Coordinator
Sep 28, 2012 at 4:49 AM

Sorry to hear that. Did Orchard ask to re-authenticate you when you submitted?

No, Orchard does not update the entire site every time you do something, that would be crazy.

I would recommend you write your posts in an offline tool such as Live Writer, and/or save often.

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Are you using the latest branch 1.xx or1.5.1? Because I've seen a bug report in the latest (1.xx unreleased branch) that the cached data by second level caching is not being written to the database. That is offcourse the risk you take when using that branch.

Oct 2, 2012 at 5:51 PM
Edited Oct 2, 2012 at 5:53 PM
bertrandleroy wrote:

Sorry to hear that. Did Orchard ask to re-authenticate you when you submitted?

No, Orchard does not update the entire site every time you do something, that would be crazy.

I would recommend you write your posts in an offline tool such as Live Writer, and/or save often.

I agree that it would be crazy, which is why I was so shocked when my blog posts disappeared. 

The content from my blog posts is saved elsewhere. However, I had already saved and published these posts to my new Orchard site (hosted on my computer for now) before they disappeared. Going back and manually re-adding the posts won't be too much of a problem, but before I do that, I need to ensure that they won't be deleted again (and that future content won't be deleted likewise).

Oct 2, 2012 at 6:07 PM
Edited Oct 2, 2012 at 6:17 PM
Znowman wrote:

Are you using the latest branch 1.xx or1.5.1? Because I've seen a bug report in the latest (1.xx unreleased branch) that the cached data by second level caching is not being written to the database. That is offcourse the risk you take when using that branch.

It should be 1.5.1, but I'm not positive. Where would I check?

EDIT: I've reinstalled Orchard, version 1.5.1 via MS Web Platform Installer. Cross your fingers!

Coordinator
Oct 2, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Could you give an extensive list of the modules you are using ?

Oct 4, 2012 at 2:59 AM

I just experienced the same phenomena.  External SQL install, moved from remote IIS to local WebMatrix instance in order to work remotely.  I believe they got lost when I deleted the main Navigation.  Is there a dependency there?  Hope this helps.  Very bummed to have a lost a days work. 

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:07 PM
Edited Oct 4, 2012 at 4:28 PM
sebastienros wrote:

Could you give an extensive list of the modules you are using ?

Let's see... Culture Picker, Lucene, Translation, AddThis, Facebook, Twitter, Feedburner, Vandelay; I think that was about it.

ETA: Disqus, Localization, Search, Indexing, Stars.

Oct 4, 2012 at 6:17 PM

To those who lost data, did you query the db tables direct to see if the data is truly gone? All the parts' data are gone from their respective db tables too (e..g, body part)?

Oct 19, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Update: For anyone else who has lost blog posts or other content, try using the Version Manager module. It added a Recycle Bin to my content admin section. Even though I installed this after my blog posts vanished, I was still able to access them from this Recycle Bin and restore / republish the posts.

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Glad you were able to get your posts back. This is basically what I was trying to get at with my question above your post. 

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:36 PM

@TheMonarch You were a step ahead of me. Thanks for the insight!