Which folder should have writing rights?

Topics: General
Sep 27, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Today I did publish my first website with Webmatrix as the publish machine. The files were correctly published to the server.

But i did get an error and talking to the provider he told me that there were no writing rights on the complete site. We have given write rights to the complete site, but since that is dangerous I would like to know which folders should and which fiolders shouldn't have write rights. We have:

and also the following files

More important is also why he publishing proces went wrong.
I hope I will get directions quickly, due to the fact that everything now is on write rights.

site is on www.lavandula-aromatherapie.nl for those who want to look at it

thanks in advance for the reply

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:16 PM

I found the information you are looking for in the online documentation. Here is the page:

Look under Running the Site Using IIS

"You might have to set read/write permissions for the account that is configured as the identity for the IIS application pool on the following folders:

• Modules. This is required if you want to install modules from the gallery. (We recommend that you remove the read/write permissions for production sites.)
  • Themes. This is required if you want to install themes from the gallery. (We recommend that you remove the read/write permissions for production sites.)
  • AppData_. This folder is where Orchard stores site settings.
  • Media. This folder is where Orchard stores media files (images, etc.)."

The documentation may get updated with new versions of Orchard, so I always recommend you bookmark the documentation as opposed to this discussion.

Best of luck.

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Hi David, believe it or not I was just browsing through your website when I received your reply.

I think I should clarify my post. I have Published my website to my provider and did this with WebMatrix Publish. The process itself went allright, but after it was finished I got an general error message. So I spoke to the provider and we saw the there were no writing rights connected to the site. Because I wanted to see the site, he gave writing rights to the complete website, which off course is dangerous, but the result was that I could see and work with it.
So now I am in the process to find out which of the folders I mentioned aboven should have writing rights in the website.

I enjoy reading your posts, since they are clear (and sometimes too difficult for a man in his seventies), but i'm still learning and if you want to see the site I have made, look at http://www.lavandula-aromatherapie.nl (sorry for the Dutch text, but maybe you want to learn that.

thanks for your contribution so far

Sep 28, 2012 at 5:03 AM

David's answer is right on. App_data, modules, themes and media.

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Maybe my blog post could help here: http://www.schouten-online.nl/orchard-cms-applicationpool-eenvoudig-en-veilig-rechten-geven-op-app_data-en-media-mappen

Do this for the folders App_data, modules, themes and media.

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Thanks all for your answers and I will act accordingly.