How to understand Orchard structure in Visual studio solution explorer window

Topics: Administration, Core, Customizing Orchard, Francais (French), General, Installing Orchard, Writing modules
Sep 24, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Edited Sep 24, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Hello all,

I downloaded a 1.5.1 code version from CodePlex and opened the Orchard.sln in the src folder using Visual Studio, now I need to understand the structure of the solution displayed in Visual Studio solution explorer window. I need to know if I need to keep all these folders inside the solution, or may be move some of them until I need them, If so please what have I to remove to keep orchard running at its lowest functionality.

Also since I had configured Orchard to use SQL CE database, I failed to find the .sdf database file in the App_Data.

Any help please ?

Coordinator
Sep 24, 2012 at 5:14 PM

http://docs.orchardproject.net/Documentation/Source-code-organization

Yes, you need all those folders, except those module and theme folders that you are not using. If in doubt, leave them there. Removing them will make merges with future versions more difficult. There is no point in doing that in my opinion on your dev box. Disabled features won't run even if the folder is there. One thing you can do is keep everything on your dev environment, and only push to production what you are really using. That can be done reliably by creating your own solution file that has a subset of the projects, and compile webdeploy packages from it.

I don't understand your SQL CE question. The database file, if using CE, is under app_data\sites\default.

Sep 24, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Well noted, and finaly found the orchard.sdf,  Things now are more clear for me. Many thanks Bertrand.

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:00 AM
bertrandleroy wrote:

http://docs.orchardproject.net/Documentation/Source-code-organization

Yes, you need all those folders, except those module and theme folders that you are not using. If in doubt, leave them there. Removing them will make merges with future versions more difficult. There is no point in doing that in my opinion on your dev box. Disabled features won't run even if the folder is there. One thing you can do is keep everything on your dev environment, and only push to production what you are really using. That can be done reliably by creating your own solution file that has a subset of the projects, and compile webdeploy packages from it.

I don't understand your SQL CE question. The database file, if using CE, is under app_data\sites\default.

Could you please advice on how to create from the 66 project a solution file with only the right essential subset of the projects, then add later others as soon as needed.

Coordinator
Sep 30, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Make a copy of the solution under a different name, open that in VS and start removing projects. Save.